Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,737 Times in 2,686 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PeeBee Gq Wagon Dual Cab chop

I will start with the first stage of release from the shed after a two year conversion from wagon to Dual Cab. Unlimited thanks to @MB for his patience and allowance of this project to be commenced and completed within his large shed - could not have done it without you. Extended to a number of the wider NP group including AB, Rossco, Matfew, Mudrunnertd, winnie a to name a few, apologies if i have left anyone out. I will follow these with the start through to completion when I get windows of opportunity. Vehicle is off for another round of Vass certification on March 18, so I am keen to get this sorted once and for all.rear full.pngFront view.pngRear view.pnggeneral shot.png I will say the task is not a simple one, needs far more hours than you can imagine and a bucket of cash you are happy to burn. The result is worth the effort - can't believe I actually said that! Numerous times I spat the dummy and then picked it back up from the oil and mud and metal and stuffed it back in the mouth as once you start its either complete it or scrap it. This was a ground up build, body off and donor body installed, and chopped/painted.
    Hope you enjoy the journey.
    The vehicle is actually charcoal in colour however the lush bush reflection suggests it the green colour originally avail, which looks good as well. The bonnet is sprayed in the same colour, just has a layer of dust on it.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 28th February 2024 at 05:22 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (28th February 2024), Cremulator (28th February 2024), MB (28th February 2024), Winnie (28th February 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    side view 2.pngrear view 2.pngside view 1.png
    With rear pod and wheel/jerry can holders
    Backing bar allows for fitment of solar panels that are slightly lower than the back rail, and has the alum roofrack approx 100mm above the height of the roof, so I have 50mm clear getting under the garage door at home. Purple window tint comes off on March 22 to be replaced with a smokey grey ceramic film, cost all up $490 including stripping of the old windows.
    Engineering gets done without the Pod in place which made suspension set up a challenge. I am within 1mm of the stipulated height for a 2" lift.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 28th February 2024 at 06:04 PM.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (28th February 2024), Cremulator (28th February 2024), MB (28th February 2024), mudnut (28th February 2024), mudski (7th March 2024), Winnie (28th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It came out nice! First picture the color looks green indeed!
    Did you need to lengthen the chassis rails?
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    It came out nice! First picture the color looks green indeed!
    Did you need to lengthen the chassis rails?
    No extension, max tray length extension behind the rear wheels is circa 1950mm from memory, and I am way less than that. Chassis is fully plated inside and out also as the wall thickness is quite tin on the patrol and not that deep either if you compare to a landcruiser.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the car that just can't stop 'giving', Starter Motor bolt sheared yesterday after I removed it from the sanctuary of the shed and brought it home. I stopped at a servo to put fuel in it, , drove out onto the highway, heard a bang, got out and the bolt was lying on the road, just like that. Starter skewed out of alignment with the flywheel teeth, would not start. Its now at home waiting to go to the mechanic tomorrow to have them sort this out. Maybe it has gotten used to be carried around on the back of a flatbed, like some dole bludger embedded into its system. Up until then it was running beautifully.Bolt failure shot.pngtraytruck.pngBolt full.png
    I have sought technical assessment of the failure mode and one comment received is the bolt has failed due to insufficient loading, allowing it to flex and fatigue to the point of failure. I can understand that based upon the image, however is not a usual scenario, - we usually see bolts over tightened and stretched beyond their elastic limits - pays to follow the torque guidelines.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 4th March 2024 at 10:34 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

AB (4th March 2024), Cremulator (4th March 2024), mudnut (4th March 2024), Rossco (4th March 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plot thickens around the broken bolt. Seems they are the wrong grade, should be similar to the ARP material, certainly not 8.8. Unfortunately there are two sets typically fitted to Chevs and GM's, one set has both the same length and the second one is shorter than the other - wont know until they get the broken piece out and the other bolt still in place. I will wait to hear from the workshop then race out to Eagle Spares and get what they need - unsure if the female thread is damaged and needs a larger tapping.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chinesium? Or just used many times?
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (4th March 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Chinesium? Or just used many times?
    Wrong gradeCraig. the ARP units are twice the tensile and tougher and have a special stress reduction knurl as well, lucky only 1 broke - Brunswick would not have a clue about this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (4th March 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suppose this is all good news Phil, at least you have a reason and it's cos someone made a mistake.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (4th March 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I suppose this is all good news Phil, at least you have a reason and it's cos someone made a mistake.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    I am a bit more relaxed now compared to last night when it all went tits up. I have a solution as long as the threads in the block are not damaged - they should be ok. Its then a dash to Dandenong to pick up a set of the right ones. I tellya, its a twitchy monster to drive, any tap of the accelerator in 3rd and above and the arse wants to meet the frontend. 1st and 2nd are just too short for any real use on the road. S/c whine is taking a bit to get used to though. Zero road noise as expected with all that insulation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast