Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,685 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window tint recommendation for GQ - Melb SE

I need to replace the window tinting on the donor glass - its the old blue/purple stuff probably from early '90's and it looks horrible.

I am going with a tint that is uniform all round, not different levels of shade to remain within the legal max. I called into Tint a Car this morning, holey moley, $900 for 4 doors and rear window, plus $200 to remove.

Who has used an alternate with good results. Car is a GQ Dual Cab

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,427 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's taking the piss! I can't really help you with a suggestion but I wouldn't expect more than $600 all up.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    He's taking the piss! I can't really help you with a suggestion but I wouldn't expect more than $600 all up.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Yes, I cant see the value either

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From memory I got my GU done - four doors, cargo side windows and rear barn doors - for $550 by tint-a-car, but I had it done in September 2019 before it started to get warm.
    If you can wait, the cooler months tinting places are very quiet and will possibly give you a better price.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (12th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for removal, you can usually peel them (with patience) after the glue is heated. That could be either a heat gun or a few hours under the sun. The glue remnants on the window I was able to clean with isopropyl alcohol.

The windows I had to deal with were the barn door ones with the defroster. The once grayish tint film was already transparent from decades under the sun and the scratch protection paint over the metallic lines of the defroster didn't held up and came out with the film despite me being very careful. At least it seems that the film removed only the scratch protection paint and none of the metallic lines.

20240127_123944.jpg

20240127_125049.jpg

20240127_125100.jpg

As for the new tint, I think in 2021 I had one installed on the wife's car, and it had a ceramic thingo added to it that really made a difference in temperature control. It was a bit more expensive, though.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    As for removal, you can usually peel them (with patience) after the glue is heated. That could be either a heat gun or a few hours under the sun. The glue remnants on the window I was able to clean with isopropyl alcohol.

The windows I had to deal with were the barn door ones with the defroster. The once grayish tint film was already transparent from decades under the sun and the scratch protection paint over the metallic lines of the defroster didn't held up and came out with the film despite me being very careful. At least it seems that the film removed only the scratch protection paint and none of the metallic lines.

20240127_123944.jpg

20240127_125049.jpg

20240127_125100.jpg

As for the new tint, I think in 2021 I had one installed on the wife's car, and it had a ceramic thingo added to it that really made a difference in temperature control. It was a bit more expensive, though.
    Many thanks, I am leaning towards the ceramic and there is a base coating and the supreme one. I am heading towards the better one, did the heat test with the panels under the same light box thing and the difference is there. I will have a go at the windows with the heatgun if its that simple, the IsoPropyl will be accessible from the paint shop.