OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Boss External rubber airbags, Internal airbags to coils with kevlar sleeves, extended

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boss External rubber airbags, Internal airbags to coils with kevlar sleeves, extended

For the Simpson trip I am mulling over the 700klm of dunes and dips, gouge outs etc and trying to resolve the combo of rear suspension options I have already in hand, but not all installed.

The vehicle is a GQ dual cab which has a fully plated chassis, Dobinson 400kg coils in the rear, ARB BP51 shocks and 3" lift nominal.

Currently the vehicle sits at 3100kg, without the pod, GVM upgrade to 3300kg

My configuration now is 400kg coils and Airbagman internal airbags and kevlar sleeves predominantly to level the vehicle up. I also have landcruiser aftermarket extended bump stops so clearance on normal running is around 70mm from axle top to bottom of rubber.

I have the option of removing the bump stops and replacing with the triple airbags from Boss, running them as the main excess energy controller. I would leave the coil internal bags with minor inflation for the highway trim, then swap over to the potentially softer or less shock inducing triple bags for the desert.

Is this a crazy over engineered concept or have merit? The clearances for the triples to the rims is relatively tight however at that point the airbags cannot touch the rim.

I am thinking the internal airbag coils and bump stops should be fine. The coil towers are triple braced, internal bolt on braces, Superior Eng coss tower braces and welded external brace elements from coil tower to braced chassis - they are not going anywhere. I am perhaps looking at reducing the amount of load into the pod as its ultimately secured to the tray and that mount system is being reviewed now - dont want it coming loose or breaking away.

Thought please.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 19th January 2024 at 10:58 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time we did it I had boss airbag kit and brace kit had no problem at all.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Last time we did it I had boss airbag kit and brace kit had no problem at all.
    Is that with the rubber donut style that sit between cassis rail and the top of axle housing or the style that fit inside the coil and react directly into the coil hat?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chassis rail and axle housing mate.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (19th January 2024)