Thread: Cross country top mount intercooler clean and flush

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross country top mount intercooler clean and flush

So today I decided to do a clean and flush of my ultimate cross country top mount intercooler that is on my factory td42t blacktop motor.
    intercooler has been on for 110000 klms
    on removal found very small amount of oil in inlet hose from turbo, so as I thought no blow by on engine which has 335000 klms on it.
    Filled intercooler with 4 litres of kerosene , let soak for half hour and agitated, drained fluid from cooler into large container and blue kero had a slight tinge of black to it. Perfect no blow by.
    Rinsed with four litres of methylated spirits and drained, perfectly clear.
    Let dry and hair dryer to ensure dryness.
    Installed back to vehicle and she seems to be running even better.
    This after my usual 5000klm oil , filters and fuel filter service.
    Seem to come on boost slightly quicker , tuned to 16 psi, and think egts come down slightly faster than before when you get off the throttle.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patrolking For This Useful Post:

GregRT (18th March 2024), MB (18th March 2024), MudRunnerTD (11th December 2023), mudski (11th December 2023), Touses (11th December 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear you felt and improvement! My neighbor's Patrol is closing to 100k km and we'll do some major cleaning. The suspension kit from 4Wheelonline for the Jeep showed up so we can clear a spot in the garage this week. We're gonna include the intercooler on the list to flush.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GregRT For This Useful Post:

MB (18th March 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cross Country Top Mount Intercoolers DO appear to be from Northern Highway Brothers Advice Excellent The best in the business they say at say +50kmph clean ramming bonnet unhindered air down through
    Some different climates and say crawling low speeds through rivers/bog holes or the like will find that a big hole in our Patrol bonnets allows engine bay water/mud factory de-pressurised ingress instantly through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I did mine last week. Been on the Patrol for six years or so.
    The amount of black sludge came out of mine was incredible.
    After leaving it over night the sludge still in the intercooler, solidified black sludge and came out in like small stones. I washed it out twice again until it was clean.
    First thing I noticed after fitting it up was how fast the exhaust temps drop after backing off going up a hill.
    My guess being a top mount that any oil residue sits on the bottom side of the cooler and the radiant heat from the engine baked the oil inside the cooler. Therefore making the intercooler hotter that it should be.
    I think it’s a worthy exercise to do this if people haven’t.

Last edited by mudski; 22nd March 2024 at 08:46 AM. Reason: I cunt type propalee

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (18th March 2024), PeeBee (22nd March 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traffic sucks, heat rises, ‘soak’ needs serious alternator power/fan CFM pull down through scoops to keep OEM factory stationary engine bay flows heading down & backwards to our footwells by original design

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th March 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to change my Intercooler for a larger one and change the scoop too, @mudski can you advise what to get?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice result! Thanks for sharing I generally flush mine once a year, although have a catchcan so don't really see much oily residue come out

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Traffic sucks, heat rises, ‘soak’ needs serious alternator power/fan CFM pull down through scoops to keep OEM factory stationary engine bay flows heading down & backwards to our footwells by original design k
    I found an 80w/1450cfm 9" one for my crd intercooler
    Last edited by pollenface; 20th March 2024 at 08:05 AM.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollenface View Post
    Nice result! Thanks for sharing I generally flush mine once a year, although have a catchcan so don't really see much oily residue come out

I found an 80w/1450cfm 9" one for my crd intercooler
    Yeah my TD now has a few k's on it and is a bit of a heavy breather, but having said that, since changing oil brand and type to HPR D 15W50 the oil usage has all but disappeared and the engine breathing is to a minimal.

I've never flushed mine so this was a surprise for sure.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    I am going to change my Intercooler for a larger one and change the scoop too, @mudski can you advise what to get?
    Well I have the Cross Country Ultimate Top mount cooler, coupled with a Fairline Fibreglass Scoop so I can only speak about this really. Its worked really well I think. HPD ( Autosport Engineering ) over your way do a bunch on intercoolers aswell. If you have the stock scoop, depending on what size intercooler you go for, I'd be changing this aswell to get the full effect of the IC. I used to have a taller scoop on the factory IC, it was a direct replacement for the factory scoop. This helped a little.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing I will add, I have noticed my Patrol letting out a lot less soot since the clean. Where I live is very hilly, there’s a few spots where I have the sink the boot just to get up the hill and guaranteed I was trying to replicate puffing Billy on there sections. The last two times one these same sections, since the clean, not a lot at all was to be seen. Coincidence? Maybe. But there has definitely been a big improvement overall by giving the IC a good clean.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (24th March 2024)