Thread: AC install TD

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC install TD

Hey guys, I'm going to install AC on my none AC wagon, I think I have all the bits needed - has anyone done this / have any tips tricks?

I've noticed the fire wall already has the pipes that go through into the cabin unsure if they all have this or mine DOD have ac at one point in its life, the fan controls doesn't have an AC button which let's be believe it never had it?

If anyone has had it done at a shop also willing to go down that route for convenience but thought I'd give it a go of possible.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,687 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted a reply here 2 days ago however it has not loaded, so here it is again.

I am guessing this is for a GQ? If yes, all the a/c units were aftermarket. That being the case based on your description, the car appears to have had a/c at one time or another if the a/c pipes are hanging out of the wall, but curious the pushbutton is missing on the dash - to the right of the heater controls.

You will find there are a multitude of variations with the kits, the major pain being the fitting sizes and styles. My 1997 had oddball fittings from one end to the other, from different fitting manufacturers - almost a junk yard spares installation, and that was from brand new.

The a/c pushbutton should be easy to find, the wiring loom - not much to that but unsure if its allowed for in the loom.

Suggest you take some pics and post of what you have for more specific help, go to the icon above with the tree in the frame to add pics., Also year and model and engine also might help.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, thanks for the reply.

It's a TD42 1990 wagon.
    I was looking at it today, so it had no push button for AC or a loom that I can see, but I had sorted a new control panel, condenser and a dryer, I have a few random pipes aswell as a compressor.

I'll throw up some photos for reference but I'd suspect I'm still missing parts.

The evap is connected directly to those pipes but it is the only thing that is AC related on the car.

I guess mounting all the hard components isn't too bad, but the plumbing is the tricky bit??

As for the loom just a feed to the compressor as on off would be enough?
    Do you know how much wiring there is for the whole system?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post
    Hello, thanks for the reply.

It's a TD42 1990 wagon.
    I was looking at it today, so it had no push button for AC or a loom that I can see, but I had sorted a new control panel, condenser and a dryer, I have a few random pipes aswell as a compressor.

I'll throw up some photos for reference but I'd suspect I'm still missing parts.

The evap is connected directly to those pipes but it is the only thing that is AC related on the car.

I guess mounting all the hard components isn't too bad, but the plumbing is the tricky bit??

As for the loom just a feed to the compressor as on off would be enough?
    Do you know how much wiring there is for the whole system?
    OK, good the hear back from you. I cannot say around the loom, however there is likley to be a pressure switch in the circuit(possibly on the drier?) as well as the on/off solenoid for the compressor clutch and usually a power feed to the pushbutton for illumination. The potential headache may be the actual match up of the pipes and fittings, it could need a trip to the AC shop to finish it off

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

AB (24th November 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay more digging.

The drier has 2, 2 pin plus which I’m guessing is the pressure switch off.

The compressor has a single pin plug (earthed off the block??)

And the switch is 3 pin.
    Light and signal I would assume.

I’ve found a car wrecking that has ac in it and I’m going to try and get all remaining pipes i need from that. Unsure of how much wiring I’ll be able to get though could be intertwined in the loom.

I think AC shop to finish is a good idea, I’m hoping to build as much as I can myself - there isn’t much info on the web I can find about retro fitting so will try and Atleast build a feed here as I move.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post
    Okay more digging.

The drier has 2, 2 pin plus which I’m guessing is the pressure switch off.

The compressor has a single pin plug (earthed off the block??)

And the switch is 3 pin.
    Light and signal I would assume.

I’ve found a car wrecking that has ac in it and I’m going to try and get all remaining pipes i need from that. Unsure of how much wiring I’ll be able to get though could be intertwined in the loom.

I think AC shop to finish is a good idea, I’m hoping to build as much as I can myself - there isn’t much info on the web I can find about retro fitting so will try and Atleast build a feed here as I move.
    Focus on the screwed fittings and pipe sizes for the A/c. I got caught with getting some lines off a TB42 only to find they were considerably larger in dia for the ones on the 2.8TD, and all the fittings were crazy odd sizes, nothing fitted. On another project I had a few 'bastard fittings' and the a/c guy had theses floating around as stock, so everything went smoothly from there. I dont think you need much more on the cable side, even if you run them yourself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

AB (24th November 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have everything for the physical pumping, managed to find a wrecking GQ td that had ac so stole all the pipes I didn’t have. Win.

Now for the wiring, how much did you actually wire up? I’m not too fussed about illumination and all that jazz right now. I would like the compressor to turn on when I hit the button. How much / what would I need to achieve that? That you know of?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there is a tie up or at least would think there is a link between the pressure switch - especially high pressure detection and the compressor clutch. Check the wiring diagram. There may also be a tie up between the thermostat and the compressor - seems logical but I did not do the wiring. The clutch signal goes thru a relay for power control via the switch.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is very common for the Factory Nissan loom to be the same loom between the variants of the same engine. Dont be surprised if you have a factory Loom plug taped up and never used exactly where you need it to be.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 2nd December 2023 at 08:38 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh ok that interesting I’ll have a look and see if I can sus it out I’ve found a wiring diagram to go by which will help