Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front right wheel hub hot?

Hey guys,
    Just purchased this 1989 GQ 4.2

Recently have replaced right front wheel bearings all the way to the diff/ axle seal as they were leaking. When I drove the car afterwards I heard what I thought was the break pads grabbing, felt the hubs and rotors and the right hub was hot, left side not so bad (brake disks obviously hot).

I have since backed off the bearing lock nut and left play in it before tightening, still hot, then torqued as normal with no play as per manual.

Replaced both left and right front brake callipers, brake master cylinder and hoses as I felt they were failing.

Just went for a drive and still, the right hand side hub is much warmer than the left, not too hot to touch but warm. The left hub has not yet been done by myself and I know the hub has some play in it.

Is it normal for the hubs to get hot in general?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get yourself one of those infrared thermometers and point and shoot at both hubs to compare temps. They are cheap and very handy.

Check to see if the rhs axle shaft is not permanently engaged. If you have replaced calipers, bearings etc and all is done to spec and its getting hotter than usual something is amiss. If the axle is engaged this will create extra drag in the axle, ever so slightly though, but may be enough to create the extra heat you feel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Chunty (14th November 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Get yourself one of those infrared thermometers and point and shoot at both hubs to compare temps. They are cheap and very handy.

Check to see if the rhs axle shaft is not permanently engaged. If you have replaced calipers, bearings etc and all is done to spec and its getting hotter than usual something is amiss. If the axle is engaged this will create extra drag in the axle, ever so slightly though, but may be enough to create the extra heat you feel
    I’ve got one somewhere, about to go for a drive without using the brakes just to see how it goes.

What would indicate the axle shaft is permanently engaged? Surely I would feel or hear something, I did notice it pulls slightly to the right when braking.

I’ll go over the rear hubs and callipers too if it’s perhaps an issue with those.

I could put it in stands and see which wheels engage I guess?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunty View Post
    I’ve got one somewhere, about to go for a drive without using the brakes just to see how it goes.

What would indicate the axle shaft is permanently engaged? Surely I would feel or hear something, I did notice it pulls slightly to the right when braking.

I’ll go over the rear hubs and callipers too if it’s perhaps an issue with those.

I could put it in stands and see which wheels engage I guess?

You free wheeling hub could be dodgy and not disengaging maybe?

Putting it on stands and spinning the wheels will certainly tell you if something is dragging.