OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: My Patrol is jealous and is playing up.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Patrol is jealous and is playing up.....

Can anybody guide me in the right direction to start looking? My MK TD started playing up about six months ago, the alt/fuel filter lights would come on for about 30secs-two mins about every couple of weeks after startup for abpout a month or two. I didn't worry too much about it as it always came good and it was only very occasionally it did it. Then about two months ago it wouldn't charge properly, sat at about 12.5V at the battery. SoI took the cover off the reg and did the age old accepted method of giving it a tap and clean the contacts. That fixed it till last week when the lights mentioned above came on and stayed on till I got home. I then went to do the same cleaning regime in the reg but as soon as I took the cover off the engine died and there were no warning lights on the dash. So I tried to restart it and it fired but shut off when I let the key return from "start" to "on"? I tried again yesterday and all the lights came on but as soon as I hit the glow switch they dissapeared....Has anybody else came across this problem before, as I will have to tow her to the autoelecs if I can't get it running again. I might mention too that these peoblems only started when the old girl saw a Laser parked alongside her in the driveway and the Laser started taking me to work.... She's probably jealous even though she still gets the carport and the Laser shivers in the frost at nightime. Maybe I need to threaten her with being taken out of the carport? Crikey I even started using her a couple of times to go to work during the week, what more does she want? Any help would be appreciated thanks people.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your alternator has done it's regulator and now your battery is low on charge. If the voltage ran unregulated you may have blown starting fuse because of voltage overload. Just a point to start at with what you have said.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    Sounds like your alternator has done it's regulator and now your battery is low on charge. If the voltage ran unregulated you may have blown starting fuse because of voltage overload. Just a point to start at with what you have said.

Tim
    Thanks for the reply Tim. PM sent.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am with Tim, I would check the fuses first.

It is possible you shorted it out when removing the regulator cover and have blown the fuse.

From what you have told us it does sound like your regulator is faulty, but it could also be a problem with your alternator (possibly brushes getting low).

I would also check and clean the main earth connections.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    I am with Tim, I would check the fuses first.

It is possible you shorted it out when removing the regulator cover and have blown the fuse.

From what you have told us it does sound like your regulator is faulty, but it could also be a problem with your alternator (possibly brushes getting low).

I would also check and clean the main earth connections.
    This could be a possibility as it happened as soon as I moved the cover. It doesn't quite explain why the lights came on again the other day but went out straight away as I hit the glow switch. Could be a dirty contact on the fuse though. I'll have a captain cook tomorrow after work. Thanks fellas.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check your main power wire connections (little white connector plugs) near your battery tray, they have a habit of getting burnt out/bad connection/dirty connection.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It got the better of me and I had a bit of alook last night at the fuses and found a strange one. The terminals are clean but the fuse had a loose contact inside and when I replaced it with a fresh one the lights came on and stayed on. So whilst I still have the alt/fuel filter lights on iondicating no charge at least it runs again. I'll have a bit of a think as to whether I pluck the alt and get it recoed or replaced, I would like to convert to an internal reg one. It's always the simple things that gets ya in the end..... I was thinking something a lot more complex. My old FJ55 cruiser didn't have any of the electronic trickery this jigger has. But then again it didn't have the comfort or power steer that the MK has also... Thanks for your help fellas.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbly For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (18th August 2011)