Thread: GU Ute Body mount noise?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Ute Body mount noise?

When making tightish right hand turns eg going around a mini roundabout, I've recently started hearing a occasional clunking/knocking noise on the passenger side of the cab. Sounds like its in the cab area rather than further forward in the suspension I think. Not real bad, but I don't expect it'll get better by itself.

My current theory is that as I take the turn the passenger side of the vehicle is 'unloaded' making me think perhaps a body mount is loose/worn & that's what I'm hearing.

Can anyone who has needed to replace body mounts tell me what symptoms you noticed & how you confirmed that it was the body mount(s).

Is it feasible to replace just one or do all need doing at the same time.

Is this bent one (rear passenger side) a body mount? And if so does the nut get undone from the bottom & the bolt pulled up & out inside the cab?

IMG_5353.jpegIMG_5354.jpeg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iv' never done a patrol body mount before but it does look as though it has copped a hit on the bolt as well as the chassis mount bracket . if the mount is original you might want to consider replacing all the body mounts as they would all be collapsed to some degree .

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (27th September 2023), Rossco (26th September 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep as above given their age definatly worth doing them all as they will all have collapsed / sagged to the same degree. Not an overly hard job but need to get to both sides so flooring needs pulling up to get to the bolt heads in the cab, front two probably need a few extensions to get down to them from the top of radiator support (not sure on GU but GQ that's the best). Will need to jack up cab to to get new ones in which will be inevitably taller than the old flogged out ones. Hope that helps could replace one but would be best practice to do the lot IMHO. .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had the same noise not long after buying the Old Trol. The two front body mounts have been shimmed up with a temporary fix of a donut shaped bit of inner tube for over ten years. I must get around to changing out the lot, with slightly lifted ones.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did the mounts in mine a few years back due to a knocking noise whilst turning. All fixed with new mounts.

The fronts I recommend new bolts as these will be rusted out quite badly due to going through the lower part of the rad support panel.

The second row mounts, the bolt comes out from the bottom, easy.

Third row the front seats need to be removed and the bolt come from the top.

Fourth row are on a small cross member under the rear seats, on a wagon they are, ute dunno.

Fifth row, are right at the back. Of course.

Not an overly hard job, time consuming yes,

I just used my trolley jack and blocks of wood to lift the cab up.
    20160221_180755 (Small).jpg
    20160221_155920 (Small).jpg
    20160221_150850 (Small).jpg
    Last edited by mudski; 27th September 2023 at 10:16 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (28th September 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fellas, you've helped me to determine the way forward.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feedback. Took car to local mechanic. He wasn't convinced that the noises were from worn body mounts, but did find a heap of worn bushes & some engine & gearbox mounts which were on the way out. Not really surprising after our past 6 years of travel with lots of corrugations etc. All replaced ($2000!) & the noise has lessened noticeably.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)