User Tag List

Thread: GPS Tracker location

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPS Tracker location

Following the rise in vehicle theft generally, and triggered by the recent theft @MB's daughter's Maverick, I am going to install a GPS Tracker on my GU wagon.
    But where? Where have others mounted theirs?
    Well it obviously needs to be reasonably covert, but it's almost impossible to get it up high under the dash (plastic so transparent to GPS signals) without completely removing the dash and have grave doubts about its effectiveness in the engine bay due to the metal bonnet as well as the heat problem.
    I am thinking about under the dress panel below the window of one of the rear doors. There is sufficient room for something like the little TK419 and it would have good access to satellites as well as being able to hide all wiring. At this stage I was not going to add the cutout relay as I think tracking should be enough to at least find it if was lost stolen or strayed, but that could be added easily enough with the relay up front.
    Anybody got any good ideas for better, easier, safer, more convenient locations?
    IMG_7360A.jpgIMG_7361A.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

MB (1st September 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you remove the glove box, you can see up under the dash area, or alternatively under the steering column area. You could potentially put a GPS under the plastic of the dash to get clear signal through the windscreen.
    (Reference photos from Cuppas second glove box install and JFF45s heater box replacement)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Brissieboy (1st September 2023), jff45 (1st September 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say no for "under the steering column". That is the first place thieves look for alarms wiring, cut switches, etc.

Your barn door idea seems good to me. You can certainly do a test with the wires in the middle of the car, before commiting to a place. I've seen people hide it inside the 2nd row doors and even inside the taillight assembly.
    Last edited by BrazilianY60; 31st August 2023 at 09:03 PM.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

Brissieboy (1st September 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    I say no for "under the steering column". That is the first place thieves look for alarms wiring, cut switches, etc.

Your barn door idea seems good to me. You can certainly do a test with the wires in the middle of the car, before commiting to a place. I've seen people hide it inside the 2nd row doors and even inside the taillight assembly.
    I agree, under the steering column would not be a good location. What I was referring to, which I should have been clearer about, was under the dash on either side of the car.
    If you can't get access looking up past the steering column, maybe removing the instrument cluster and mounting it behind there?
    Ideally, mounting it somewhere that takes some time to access when you install it will make it less likely or harder to find if someone steals the car

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my TK419 in an ideal location that has good access to satellites but, with respect, I don't think it's the kind of thing that one should be broadcasting publicly. Kind of defeats the purpose..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (1st September 2023), Brissieboy (1st September 2023), Cremulator (1st September 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    If you remove the glove box, you can see up under the dash area, or alternatively under the steering column area. You could potentially put a GPS under the plastic of the dash to get clear signal through the windscreen.
    (Reference photos from Cuppas second glove box install and JFF45s heater box replacement)
    The air bag is above the glove box and I really don't want to disturb that. And there is not much room that is reasonably accessible on the driver's side, and as others have mentioned it is the first place someone would look. Hence the search for somewhere else that is not a 'normal' location for these.
    Last edited by Brissieboy; 2nd September 2023 at 10:32 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (1st September 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    I have my TK419 in an ideal location that has good access to satellites but, with respect, I don't think it's the kind of thing that one should be broadcasting publicly. Kind of defeats the purpose..
    Point taken!! But somewhere unusual would still be preferable to the obvious places. And being totally hidden (including all wiring) would certainly make finding it rather difficult.