Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gq patrol - poor power and glow plug light

Hey fellas!

Stock GQ2.8 1996. Fuel pump went last fortnight ago. Now has a new one put on, has incredibly poor power, cant hold 80 in fourth going up hills, drops to 60. Have taken it back to the mechanics once, picked it up this morning and same result. Still no boost/power coming out of 1/2/3 and cant hold 80km going up Willunga hill in 4th, as it previously could. Feels like an NA diesel, but can hear the turbo working.

Car also had new fuel filter, water pump, timing belt put on.

Glow plugs replaced 5 months prior, now has glow plug light flashing and starts like crap on cold start. Wasn't like this previous to pump failure. Have been told the light isn't there... took me 5 minutes driving out of the mechanics, the second time, for it to start blinking at me.

Have been told could be injectors blocked up with swarf from injector pump failure. New injectors 2 years prior. Quoted another 1900 for injectors to be looked at and cleaned, and car to be dyno tested.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gq patrol fuel pump rd28t

Its at that point where i've thrown 5000k at it for the new pump and labour and the car is completely different, incredibly disheartening. I feel like a crap customer, and don't want to complain because I completely respect the mechanics, but also now have a car that is gut kickingly poor to drive.

The car is back in the shop, they're going to try to figure out the issues... I Have little faith in them after they gave it back to me starting like crap and running like an NA diesel that cant hold speed.

They're taking injectors out, sending off to be tested... I don't think it is the injectors as all, but have no reason not to believe it couldn't be.

Also, I have no idea if the previous pump could have been upgraded, can anyone give me some sort of idea of what their un modified Rd28 Gq runs like power wise up hills etc, because mine used to be a decent ride. Not slow at all. Great torque, holding 80-90 in fourth up decent long inclines?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So one problem turns into 3 more after a mechanic touched it. Get a trusted mechanic to look at it before taking it back armed with real info. Is there a fuel filter between the pump and the injectors?
    Last edited by mudnut; 25th August 2023 at 10:04 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is a kick in the guts. I definitely would not be throwing good money after bad, at that "mechanic"

A full set of injectors here is like $500, and fitting them is a morning's job...not sure how they arrive at $1900 :O

I would definitely be finding someone knowledgable on this engine/vehicle to take it to. Cut your losses with that git.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42