Thread: Mobile phone booster?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mobile phone booster?

Hello all. My pairs have jumped into the caravan scene. They've been testing the set up around tas for a bit and will be heading to the big island towards the end of the year. Looking for recommendations to stay in contact. (And piece of mind).
    First trip will be across to Perth with probably only small deviations from the main roads. At this point I doubt they'll ever be too far from a town.They're both on Telstra mobile phones so I'm wondering if there's a suitable reception booster cradle to aerial or similar setup? Or if it's even needed? Has anyone got personal experience of Telstra network?

Starlink mobile sounds amazing but a bit of over kill.

.......from under the great down under.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have something similar to this (bought +/- 10 years ago) https://www.jaycar.com.au/nextech-5d...tenna/p/AR3340
    and https://www.jaycar.co.nz/fme-to-indu...-plug/p/AR3316

It was for a fixed install (bush hut) before cell reception was really common in the area, 2G and CDMA were fine but 3G was kinda "go up the hill stand on one leg and if the wind is blowing one way on a waxing moon" kinda reception...
    Got an extra -15dB reception on whatever cellphone it was back then, nokia, blackberry or siemens. Enough for emails anyway.

I wouldn't think it's needed with todays ultra-emf-saturation.
    And on a main road I assume there's still truckers... better to have AM CB and UHF comms I think. Though you guys over there still have flying doctors on landbase VHF?
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @PeeBee might be your man here mate. He set something up for remote area signal boost I believe.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

taslucas (6th August 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our travels we found that Telstra was the only one that worked in most places. Optus does have some coverage in some remote towns, we got a spare Optus sim but it was useless. Forget about any of the other providers. I also have a phone Ariel on my car that plugged into my phone, only worked when we there was a minimal signal.
    Many places now have these remote call dishes, not sure what they are called. You stand at them and get a free Telstra signal that even allows video calls.
    So far we haven’t met or heard from anyone who had a successful phone booster. It’s probably the most discussed topic on the many grey nomad forums and sites.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Starlink if you can afford it mate.

It’s a huge game changer in the nomads and travelling like.

Just got it put in here and I’m getting 180mbs and take it anywhere.

Understand it’s not a mobile phone but if it’s for keeping in touch with less tech savvy oldies try getting them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Winnie (5th August 2023)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run the Telstra Cel Fi unit for my site communication and remote area phone stuff. I have a range of antennas depending on the terrain. It will amplify a weak signal that is incapable of establishing even a text messge into a full blown 5/5 bar local strength signal where you can voice call - surfing the internet however is a bit out of its capability I have found for sites with heavy graphics content - it cannot increase bandwidth or data density attributes, only the signal strength. The amplification at the user end is typically within a 6m radius on 4G and up to 15m on 3g. 3G is being phased out within 12 months I understand. the Cel-Fi can hunt across 3g/4G and 4GX automatically to pick the best service. I operate this in a remote area of QLD on a 1/4 4G service and a 2/4 3G service with total reliability.

For comms outside of the 4G network I rely on the Iridium network using a Telstra post paid sim card - I swap out my normal iphone sim into the 9575 handset and simply operate the Satellite phone on international roaming.

I also have an iridium wireless modem that operates off the satellite service with its own pre paid sim card - this is a back up service to the 9575 and allows me to use my iphone linked to the wireless hub and connect to the world that way. I have not tried to surf the internet on this device.

Then there are the HF VHF and UHF radios - but these all have other communication sectors.

Hope that helps. Fair bit of coin to go so comprehensive, but what cost do you put on a life?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

taslucas (6th August 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Telstra is the only option remote - others are nowhere near it. 3G coverage most of the way across the nullarbor for example, but 3G is going away shortly and 4G/5G do not come near the same coverage. I reckon best alternative for phone only is Iridium sat phone. Full internet really needs something like Starlink. Boosters are OK when you are marginal, but no use when you are remote. There are also other cheaper options if you only need SMS type messaging and an emergency facility.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bit expensive but Starlink would be my go to when traveling.
    Online at all times and just turn on wifi calling and you’re set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

AB (6th August 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just got an EPIRB in the GQ for just in case the shit hits the fan situations although we use Garmin InReach units at work which you can text to and from. These could be an option they work well, also watched this this morning and there is mention in there of a booster he uses few opinions guess. . .

https://youtu.be/zV7SUeqQg5Y

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

mihit (7th August 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome, cheers guys, lots to look into. Very comprehensive peebee, thank you.

.......from under the great down under.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Stropp (12th August 2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast