Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
I highly recomend a Dyno Tune. You will find it not really making mush boost until 1900 or so and you really are babying it. They Hate 2000rpm, Hate it. 2000rmp is the magic number for a Kettle in my opinion for both my TDs. Cruising ar 2200 to 2400rpm and they just sing. cruisoing at 2000rpm and the EGTs can get a little Hows ya father.

Once Tuned you could make 4000rpm and the only thing stopping you is your mechanical sympathy. a stock TD42T will be pretty flat through the 3000rpm onwoulds but tuned and there is a power curve up there that they just love.

Fit it up with a decent Turbo and 12mm pump and nice intercooler (The factory is junk) and it will be transformed. Night and Day mate.
Thanks for this insight and taking your time to respond RunMudder. Been doing reading and youre on the money. If it were my daily / camper / off roader id be throwing this car at the mercy of diesel ticklers. But the wifestar drives this daily and it hardly gets warmed up before she gets to work (which is another issue , but thats for another chapter).

Im content with the power this thing has. And again im ass you ming that tune / power wise it has never been touched judging by receipts. But its NEVER big enough I guess.
Is it effective to give it a tune whilst retaining factory snail and pump? Its the sort of $ i dont want to throw at it given our scenario and askings of he car.
If so is there a go to tuner around melbourne? I'm new in town so to speak. I quickly googled and facebooked but got lost quickly in chats regarding fuel screw jockey tuners out there. Im no expert in diesel tuning but fuel screw massaging seems to be a common denominator amongst chats i found to be a BIG no no.