Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DickieO View Post
    Im going to try get a hold of a Hand vac pump from a mate to borrow. if not i'll purchase one.

I had removed the rod and checked and the vane moves freely before purchasing the actuator, should of mentioned that.

The fishing line trick worked a treat for me on the c clip. Spinning the clip around to the back has an easy slot to thread the line in.

https://youtube.com/shorts/4j6kbu1NCdE?feature=share

Do you know the Hg values I should be aiming for once installed using the vac pump on the actuator? if not i'll try find them.
    The video is good mate. One comment here is that the lever should move up/down with ease there appears to be a small amount of resistance in the top part of travel (say top 5mm), it should just float up/down with finger and it will give a metallic clang type sound at the ends of travel.

May be a little soot / carbon clogging up the vanes. Lets see how it goes with the new actuator but I would like to see it move more freely.

Could slip the actuator rod back onto pin and with the hand vac pump apply say 15"Hg and see how it lifts.

With the new actuator, initially adjust the rod length to a point where the lever just touches the stop screw with 13-14"Hg.
    As you operate the hand vac pump, the rod starts to lift, you will notice the vac level increase progressively on the pump gauge.

After you set the rod length (13-14@Hg), connect the vac supply direct (28"Hg) and check at idle that the rod lifts and lever rests against stop then the pull hose of actuator and the rod should drop.

If all good connect up the manual boost control, start eng (close the needle valve) and the lever should be resting against stop and then open needle to where the rod just starts to drop.
    All good, then take it for a gentle drive set the Dawes to max boost of 15psi, then recheck that lever is just touching stop.

Let us know how she goes. Observe if it is laggy or aggressive(jerky) at low revs at early spool. Learn as we go.

Not many tuners out there set up actuators.
    Last edited by Bidja; 19th July 2023 at 08:13 PM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job