Thread: Michael's V8Y62

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Y62 View Post
    I have ordered a HP Tuners MPVI3 dongle which will hopefully arrive on Friday. Pearl will be my daily driver for the next 3 weeks so I will do some dataloging and post progress here and on YouTube, like a tutorial, so others can try it if they feel brave enough. Initially going to use VCM Suite and possibly Race Render on my Panasonic CF-31 Toughbook until I get, and it could take a long time, a newer FZ-40 Toughbook or a Toughbook tablet.
    Holy smokes mate, what is it about your daily driving that others may need bravery to try it? And the FZ-40 Toughbook that you aspire to is military standard fully IP66 rated laptop hardware. Would love to read all about your daily drive.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Holy smokes mate, what is it about your daily driving that others may need bravery to try it? And the FZ-40 Toughbook that you aspire to is military standard fully IP66 rated laptop hardware. Would love to read all about your daily drive.
    I've been tuning cars for years and was able to get into it because someone taught me how to do it. I live in NSW they live in WA and they could show me how to do it. Tuning EFI cars is not like tuning carby cars that can be quite forgiving. Get something wrong tuning an EFI car, especially modern EFI, and you can brick the ECU and a myriad of other high tech componentry so many people are turned off trying it for themselves because they don't know how to do it and are wary of trying it.

I have a few Toughbooks and I use them because it is the fav computer in the automotive industry. I have CF-29s, CF-30, CF-31, and a CF-D1. There are some FZ-40 units on 2nd hand markets now but prices are still high. Prices will drop when more come on the 2nd hand market and availability increases.

My daily drive is boring. Home to work, work to home in the glorious NSW Hunter Valley The exciting thing to be looking for is the datalogues.
    Michael.
    Vehicle: Pearl: 2019 Y62 Ti.
    Modifications: none yet.
    Michael Built FB page
    Hacking the VK56VD ROM thread and GitHub page.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (15th June 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Yeah mate I get it, I'm actually driving a new SsangYong ATM and the speedo reads similar to yours so I feel your pain. I just run off the android auto Speedo and it's all gravy

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    I meant to reply to you but forgot, better late than never though. I hadn't even considered Android Auto. I'll have a tinker around on the weekend, if it saves me buying a HUD it is probably worth it.
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

6. The Following User Says Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (15th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Y62 View Post
    I meant to reply to you but forgot, better late than never though. I hadn't even considered Android Auto. I'll have a tinker around on the weekend, if it saves me buying a HUD it is probably worth it.
    Waze displays the speed by default whilst just "driving" with no direction but there are a plethora of apps that work with AA also. You could also consider the hud reflector, using your phone as the HUD with something like Digi HUD which has a reflection mode and having it plugged in to AA to keep Waze or similar running. Endless possibilities

I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (15th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vouch for DigiHUD as well. I use it a lot and like that you can match the instrument cluster color.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (15th June 2023), V8Y62 (15th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    I vouch for DigiHUD as well. I use it a lot and like that you can match the instrument cluster color.
    I drive many many different trucks for work, all in various states of disrepair. I use digihud in all of them as I've found some Speedos are either very innacurate or intermittently don't work at all. Digihud keeps my licensee safe when the employer(there have been several, that) don't care.

I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (15th June 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filled Pearl up today and did some quick calculations. 14.74 litres/100 kms or 19.16 mpg in the old language. I think that's pretty good for what she is. It's a good baseline to start with.
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (17th June 2023), rusty_nail (17th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an impressive 8.15 Km/L mark for a 5600 engine. I very seldom do 8 Km/L highway on my 4500, most of the time its on the 7 mark. And (very dense) city traffic 4~4.5 Km/L is all I get.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a rural area but travel through towns and suburbs to get to work. Not alot of stop start traffic but I'm gentle on the throttle on take off anyway because it really doesn't take much to get Pearl moving. Taking my current, it changes often as I'm a casual, workplace into account I average approximately 70kmh.
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (18th June 2023), MB (18th June 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the last week I have taken some datalogs of Pearl and taken a look at them. HP Tuners does support the VK56 engine but there are a few things within VCM Suite (VCM Editor and VCM Scanner) that are not setup correctly and it is taking a bit of time to find the right settings for our V8 engines. There are many parameters in the gauge screen of VCM Scanner that don't function and they don't function because their settings are wrong. I am slowly working through them and will send a message to HP Tuners so they can update the dongles so that scanning, and then tuning, will be easier.

Things I have noticed viewing the datalogs are:
    1. Pearl rarely goes over 1600 rpm, with the occasional 3000 rpm foray when overtaking or on cruise control going up a steep hill at 100 kmh (actual not speedo).
    2. Timing is set extremely high at cruise speed, 48-51 degrees btdc is not uncommon in the datalogs which makes me think there is not a lot of room to move with timing to gain more performance and economy.
    3. On decel timing can go as low as -7 degrees (7 degrees atdc) idle timing is around 15 degrees btdc which is fairly normal for modern engines.
    4. STFT runs between 0.2 and 6%. My intent is to try and get it to under 2% across the board.
    5. LTFT on VCM Scanner shows 3 digit numbers, 420 comes up often. I reset it to % and it is hovering about 6% which is way to high.
    6. The MAF is a voltage based MAF. As a comparison GM use Frequency based MAFs so rescaling the MAF, to get the ST and LT FTs back under 2%, is different to what I am used to. What makes it even more difficult is VCM Suite doesn't seem, atm, to have settings for the voltage based MAF. This is my priority at this time.
    7. VCM suite doesn't have many settings for the automatic which I find disappointing. While the auto is great and extremely smooth I am well aware the torque converter locks and unlocks alot. In Toyota 200 series forcing the converter to stay locked for longer and locking earlier saves alot of wear and tear on the trans and helps them to run cooler. While I am not towing it is not much of an issue so I am interested in other peoples experiences when towing.

EDIT: My FB page for my projects https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089631151497
    Last edited by V8Y62; 25th June 2023 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Add my projects FB page.
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast