Thread: Tyre skidding issue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyre skidding issue

Hi guys,
    I got some secondhand wheels and tyres for my RB30.
    They are LT235/85R16.
    By the looks of it, they are quite similar to ATs.
    I previously had 225/75R16 ATs which were good, but smaller than standard tyres that were suppose to have
    on a GQ. I still got them with the wheels.
    I've attached photos of both of them.
    My issue is that these 235/85R16 LTs skid pretty badly on wet road, when I brake or when I take sharp turns.
    So much so, I should say it's fairly dangerous.
    They act pretty much like big muddies.
    I don't have any big muddies at the moment, but past experience tells me those big muddies skid lot easier on wet roads.
    If you guys look at the pictures, there is plenty of tread.
    225/75 R16 ATs have never skid like this. Even though they are too small, they got pretty good traction.
    I got over three inches extra height by putting on these 235/85 LTs.
    So, I'm "happy" with the height and non wet road driving.
    In theory, bigger the tyre, more tyre surface touches the ground.
    So, I was expecting even better traction with these 235/85 LTs.
    But, they are not.
    I have to be very conscious about my driving style when raining or wet road.

What's wrong with these 235/85 LTs, guys?
    They are obviously not muddies, yet the traction is pretty bad.
    They are wider and touches more ground than my old 225/75 ATs, and got more treads as well.
    Yet, they got pretty bad traction.

First photo is the old 225/75 AT. Last three photos are the 235/85 LTs, which I have on the GQ right now.
    If I keep driving with them, I feel like it's a matter of time before I crash into something, when I brake on wet road.

What's wrong with them?

Thanks for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dom14; 6th June 2015 at 08:56 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I woukd say theyve just about had it, compound has probably gone hard and there isnt a huge amount of tread left........ my old bfg ats did that

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon Clunk is right!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I reckon Clunk is right!
    X3 but those tyres are absolutely shite in the wet even new. I had a set and hated them

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    X3 but those tyres are absolutely shite in the wet even new. I had a set and hated them
    Yeah. The tyres got plenty of tread left. I don't it's the wear.
    Either tyres are crxp or they are way too old and somehow lost the traction.
    I was particularly interested in 235/85 because they give me the standard height( or slightly above that) with only 10mm extra width than my old
    tiny 225/75 s. But, these 225/75 s are still good after many years of use. Traction is great too.

I have another 6 of these 235/85 s. Four of them has better tread depth than the above current four on the fourby.

You can see them at the bottom of the first picture.

I will post their pictures tomorrow and hoping to get some opinions from you guys.

In the meantime, I have to be careful with these four on the car, 'cos it's pouring pretty much every day now in Melbourne.

I can put the 225/75 s back, but when I look at Patrol, I would feel like looking at a midget with those tiny tyres.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    I woukd say theyve just about had it, compound has probably gone hard and there isnt a huge amount of tread left........ my old bfg ats did that
    Hmmm. I didn't pay a lot for them, so I reckon it's not a huge loss.

BTW mate, my old 225/75 Michelins are still good. It's that they are too small. After so many years of road(and sometime off road) use, their traction is still good and very little wear.
    Too bad they are not 31 inch ones. 225/75 R16 comes to around 29 inch tyre height, as oppose to 31.5 standard tyre height.

I got six other 235/85 s with pretty good tread depth. I'm thinking about putting them onto the rims with those 235/85 s in the fourby and see how it goes.
    I'll post pictures of them tomorrow and see what you guys think.

Changing tyres manually - even with the manual tyre changer is hell of a 'good' exercise.
    Last edited by dom14; 7th June 2015 at 01:55 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look on the sidewall for a four digit number. That will tell you the age of the tire. The first two digits are the week and the last two are the year. The 235's should have better grip as they are wider and taller.
    What pressure are you running? Maybe lower them a tad so that the tire has a bigger footprint.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why that size the majority dont use them , either get 265s which I think is OE
    or go bigger and buy yourself some 285s. You can get these 2 sizes in a Milkbar lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that Clunky is right

there dont look like a lot of tread left on those ones in the pictures........ probably less than 40% by guessing
    have a look at the tread bar in between the "blocks" of tread - measure that distance- less than 3mm and they are cactii

also look for the date stamp on them
    as the tyres get older, the compound gets harder - tyres only have a good shelf life of 5 yrs after that they are burnout tyres

years ago in another lifetime, we used to buy tyres and store them for as long as possible - 2 maybe 3 years, then whack them on the V8 on a Friday night, they spin like crazy, but dont leave rubber........

save your coin and buy a new set of tyres, you will wonder why you didnt do it earlier
    I know sometimes coin is hard to get - spent many a weekend buying 2nd hand tyres to last a few months then change them, but at the end of the day - driving with confidence in your cars ability is worth the extra
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Why that size the majority dont use them , either get 265s which I think is OE
    or go bigger and buy yourself some 285s. You can get these 2 sizes in a Milkbar lol
    Yes, but how do we explain my little old 225/75 s have a better traction than these 235/85 s?!!

I've been using the 225/75 Michelins on highways for over five years(since 2009).
    They are still pretty good, except the Patrol looks like a midget with them on.

I haven't had 265 s or 285 s 'cos I haven't been on any serious mud trekking lately.
    So, I thought, narrower tyres are better for road and mileage.
    Another thing is that the constant rumbling noise I used to get from wider tyres when on highways(especially muddies) used
    to drive me nuts.
    My fourby is a standard carby RB30 with no turbo or other power enhancing mods.
    So, it's not great for serious mud off roading, until I EFI it and then turbo it.
    EFI'ing is not too hard. Parts are easily come by. But, that's not the case with a turbo gear.
    Brand new turbo gear is out of question for me.
    So, I'm looking for secondhand ones from a VL Commodore.
    Rather than collecting bit and pieces, I'm searching for the whole lot from a Commodore.
    Last edited by dom14; 7th June 2015 at 12:46 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast