Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,687 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compact Brake Line flaring Tool

I nicked a brake line a while ago so swapped out a complete line from the donor vehicle I had. Last week I filled the brake booster for the first time, headed off to work and came back into the shed today to fine all the fluid on the ground. After a bit of investigation it turned out the leak was from the fitting that terminates adjacent to the drivers side front wheel, but comes all the way from the rear of the vehicle.

I found the brake line I swapped out was slightly 'wobbly' despite the fitting being in hard and tight. After a great deal of effort that required disconnection of the other 4 lines I finally was able to pull the fitting out. It appears the 'old' fitting is stretched in the area of the first 4 threads and this is why it locked up solid.

I need to take this fitting off the brake line and put a new one on. I have one of the $35 ebay kits which works well on straight lines, however it is simply too large a clamping throat length to use as the brake line. has a 90 deg bend close to the termination point. I know long winded description.

I need a tool that is able to generate the flare in perhaps a 25mm length of tube, maybe shorter. I was thinking about the plumber copper flare device but they appear to be not suitable for steel lines.

Anyone know of a short footprint flare tool I could buy or done something in the shed to get around this once in a lifetime drama?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Stropp (22nd April 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used this one to make new steel brake lines for the horse float. Worked really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark, I see its rated for copper, but for one fitting I guess it will work. I have ordered this one in the meantime, delivery Tuesday.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272124908712 and have this kit which is great, but too long unfortunately, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183678483840. I have the time to sort it out, but still a piss off. I might replace the marshalling block as well for the lines in case the threadform is distorted as well.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest a kit that has the double-flaring dies aswell... but if you're just doing a one-off then all good.

I view tools as an investment, and do a whole lot of different stuff, so I get the best and most versatile ones I can.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (23rd April 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I used this one to make new steel brake lines for the horse float. Worked really well.

Not sure of the type of flare that PeeBee needs, but this one is good only for single flares, usually done in copper tubes for low pressure stuff. For brake lines it is quite common to need double flares (or bubble flares as I once heard) and for that you need a tool with dies for a two step flaring method.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Thanks Mark, I see its rated for copper, but for one fitting I guess it will work. I have ordered this one in the meantime, delivery Tuesday.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272124908712 and have this kit which is great, but too long unfortunately, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183678483840. I have the time to sort it out, but still a piss off. I might replace the marshalling block as well for the lines in case the threadform is distorted as well.
    The plier one could be the ticket as it seems to have dies. Unfortunately the add doesn't have pictures of it in action.
    The one that looks like a bike handle does the job.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (24th April 2023)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    Not sure of the type of flare that PeeBee needs, but this one is good only for single flares, usually done in copper tubes for low pressure stuff. For brake lines it is quite common to need double flares (or bubble flares as I once heard) and for that you need a tool with dies for a two step flaring method.
    Thanks, I need the rolled over flare for sure. The handle bar one I have does both and I found the tube split at the flare, even with copper line, so its important to not over stress the tube end. The instructions show how to set the tube and the nut is to be wound in 100% - too far. The double flare profile is very good.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The handle bar one I have does both and I found the tube split at the flare
    Grease. Notice that in one of the adds the tool even comes with "special grease".
    Anyhow, pressing the die against the tube without frictioning is always better, but that is a tool that requires room to do it, a stable base like a vise, etc.
    Last edited by BrazilianY60; 24th April 2023 at 11:38 AM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Compact Brake Line flaring Tool

Mate it compressed the small steel tube with ease, and evenly. No leaks after I bled the brake system too!
    If it were larger OD steel tube I would have some concerns, but not brake tube size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (24th April 2023)