Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

turbo sucktion

Hi all

Do you think that the turbo suck adds to the amount of oil that is delivered through the PCV hose and is there any other way to set it up.
    I have fitted a PCV filter and that's cool but i think the suck of the turbo adds to how much oil ends up in the system compared to if it wasn't.
    I can imagine the volume of air that the turbo is sucking in is a lot, and its easy to get it from there and it does not have to try to suck through the filter as hard.

Just wondering.

Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vacuum created by the turbo will not suck liquid oil out of the engine, it is the oil vapour or mist that is drawn in. If there was no oil vapour nothing but blowby would get drawn in.

The PCV's main purpose is to draw in and burn the blowby gases that are present in the crankcase. Blowby is created when combustion gases leak past the piston rings during the power stroke (when the fuel and air mix is ignited pushing the piston down). The oil vapour that is also drawn in does not need to be burnt, but it is cheaper for vehicle manufactures to let it be drawn in and burnt than add a PCV filter with auto drain to condense the oil vapour and return the oil to the sump.

A properly designed and sized air filter and ducting will be the path of least resistance for the intake air, much less restrictive than trying to drawer air through the PCV system.

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 12th August 2011 at 06:38 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

vbowste1 (15th August 2011)