Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crunching 4th gear

Hi guys,

My 4.8 2022 GU started to have a 4th gear crunch when shifting from 3rd to 4th. Vehicle odo is on 3000kms only!

I know this issue is popular with GU Patrols, but I can't see a 100% solution..

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try changing old oil out with new Castrol VMX-M with Nulon additive. Also oil might be contaminated. If all else fails, then unfortunately it’s a rebuild job. Synchros are excessively worn.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzizY61 View Post
    Hi guys,

My 4.8 2022 GU started to have a 4th gear crunch when shifting from 3rd to 4th. Vehicle odo is on 3000kms only!

Nissan manual gearboxes require GL4 rated oil. GL5 is too sticky and will cause the syncros to stick cause crunching, especially when cold. It will damage the synchros over time.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzizY61 View Post
    Hi guys,

If you find a solution I'd love to know. Mine is real bad, even with VMX-M and the Nulon smooth Shift additive it made no difference at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    If you find a solution I'd love to know. Mine is real bad, even with VMX-M and the Nulon smooth Shift additive it made no difference at all.
    Have you tried double clutching as on a none syncro box? From 3rd to 4th; Clutch in, gear to neutral, clutch out. Clutch in shift to 4th, clutch out. It might work and it gets easier with practice. I was doing it with my Old Trol while I was looking for a fix when it was crunching into second while cold.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Have you tried double clutching as on a none syncro box? From 3rd to 4th; Clutch in, gear to neutral, clutch out. Clutch in shift to 4th, clutch out. It might work and it gets easier with practice. I was doing it with my Old Trol while I was looking for a fix when it was crunching into second while cold.
    Yeah but its a pain to do this all the time. I have to give the throttle a blip when going from 3rd to 2nd also. The box has done some 450+ thou, I'm just waiting for it to let go, Hopefully soon as I think the release bearing is shot and I don't want to do the clutch and not the gearbox. Well I don't want to do either really but...