OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Lubrication addative for modern fuels.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lubrication addative for modern fuels.

So modern fuels dont have the lubrisity of old fuels.
    Ive heard of many people adding 2 stroke oil to the tank. ,,, At $20 a ltr , id rather have an extra 10 ltrs of diesel.
    Now years ago I had an HJ60 landcruiser , I ran 35,000 ltrs of straight used veg oil through it. Present patrol IP wont tolerate the stuff.
    But then I was thinking racers used to add castor oil to fuel for lubrication, thats a vegetable oil. Perhaps it would be beneficial to add a ltr of filtered used cooking oil to every tank ??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dagwill For This Useful Post:

MB (12th February 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will the high pressures and tight tolerances of a Common Rail Diesel be compatible with it? Expensive way to find out if it doesn't.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (12th February 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was HUMBLY corrected by this Forum’s (IMHO) absolute GURU years ago…..AKA….ET
    Modern fuel bowsers (let’s say premium stuff) Diesel, IIRC does have additional detergents to assist modern high pressure/precision systems from clogging their fine lines/super pressure pumps # maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried it with 2-toke oil at low mix ratio (maybe 500ml/tank)... maybe ran a bit smoother/quieter. Exhaust smelled better. Didn't impress me enough to make it a habit.
    But we're talking TD42 here... the thing will run on coal, tar, whale blubber, deepfry oil etc

Modern fuel has various additives, and modern engine oils as well, so how much wear we suffer for not having sulfur/lead in the fuel...questionable.

I'm not sure why your "IP wont tolerate the stuff"...guessing it could be viscosity issue? A fuel pre-heater could fix that if you want to run straight WVO. Another common way is to start on diesel and flip to WVO once engine is at temp, flip back to diesel before stopping to clear the lines.

Many people cut their WVO/WMO with RUG to achieve viscosity but I would think you would lose all benefits of lubrication doing that.
    I'm not sure you could blend it well enough that the lighter fractions in RUG wouldn't still evaporate out, leaving you with goop and oil.

WVO= waste veg oil
    WMO= waste motor oil
    RUG= regular unleaded gasoline

"journey to forever" has the "biodiesel bible" which even if you don't pursue transesterification... might give you some ideas what you're looking at/for.

Bottom line...filtered veg oil is unlikely IMO to cause any issue in your fuel system. (And probably not cause any benefit, either)
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

MB (14th February 2023)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to add some 2 stroke to the TD years ago.
    From memory it was the Castrol Active low ash or something like that.
    Apart from smoothing out the sound and getting rid of that upper frequency "Tika Taka clacka clicka" sound ... I'm not sure what other effects it had. I stopped.
    Nowdays I just religiously add Fuel Doctor every fill, been doing it forever.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI