Thread: Getting wet

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting wet

I stuffed up a river crossing today. Concrete bottom but covered in deep soft sand. Was stuck in the middle for 10 minutes or so, not moving. Eventually managed to get out but water around my feet.

What an absolute pain in the rear it is stripping the entire ute cab to get the vinyl floor covering out, with it's thick absorbent felt underneath. What were Nissan thinking when they put this floor covering into a 4wd. Not sure what other models have, this is a DX ute

Has anyone replaced the floor coverings in their car to make it more 'wet' friendly. ie easy to remove & with sound/heat insulation which doesn't absorb water?

Anyone know of kits made for this purpose.

No idea where the water got in, it was on both driver & passenger side. Think it must have been because I was stationary in running water. Have previously been through deeper withou water getting in, but have never actually stopped more than very briefly.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

pearcey (27th January 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,687 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out carbuilders .com.au. - bayswater or close to it in Vic, high quality stuff, they heaps of stuff to sort this out. You want a closed cell foam, maybe a sound deadener as well as a high build foam product. Strip off the carpet underlay and away you go. i have done this, Works great, absorbs no water and is very quiet. Or Jing Ping it then the vinyl floor mat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th January 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will look into that when we get home later in the the year. Thanks @PeeBee. Would be nice to find a way of refitting the vinyl so it an also be removed without having to dismantle so much.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bilge Pumps for the win. I cut my Carpet under the middle of teh front seats so the wagon carpet was in 2 pieces, made things much easier. I would look at a Polyurethane or rubber carpet underlay mate that is hydrophobic or non-permable and easy to remove and hang to dry then refit.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you plug the holes when you changed the seats ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip12345 View Post
    did you plug the holes when you changed the seats ?
    I did. On the way in here last may we crossed two rivers at 800mm & got through largely unscathed. Just a bit of dampness, & I traced where it had got in & sealed it. This time more got in but water depth was far less, but I was stationary in the water for 10 minutes & there was a reasonable flow coming from the driver side. Inside the car is almost dry now after several days with a pair of electric fans running 24/7, & the vinyl plus underfelt is getting there hanging on a line. There was a constant drip of water onto the ground though. Yesterday I got down to see where it was coming from. What looked like a small drain hole in the bottom of the driver side sill. I pushed a knife blade up into it & turned the drip in a full flow tap! It ran for for a long time, I'd estimate 8 or 10 litres of water at least. The Sill must have been completely full, but unless it all got in via that little drain hole I have no idea where it got in. If it was the sill which filled first it could have overflowed into the footwell via the holes that the plastic sill cover clips into? Floor was wet on passenger side footwell too, but nothing in the passenger side sill. At least I now know where the sloshing noise I could hear as I drove home was coming from!
    Last edited by Cuppa; 31st January 2023 at 10:25 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water is always a hell of a lot better at finding holes than people are. I reckon it is near impossible to seal a vehicle cabin to cope with water above sill height.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

mudnut (31st January 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brissieboy View Post
    Water is always a hell of a lot better at finding holes than people are. I reckon it is near impossible to seal a vehicle cabin to cope with water above sill height.
    Maybe find someone with a smoke machine to find the leaks.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Maybe find someone with a smoke machine to find the leaks.
    Or wait until it is dark and put a bright light under the car.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

mudnut (1st February 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Or wait until it is dark and put a bright light under the car.
    Oh yeah. I forgot he has the vinyl and insulation out
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast