Thread: Stutter and shutdown.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stutter and shutdown.

I have a 92 24v Safari td42 silvertip, while on the way to work this morning I was slowing down behind someone who was turning. While slowing down the engine started to stutter like it was going to shut down. Sped up and everything was fine. Felt smooth and no weird noises. After work it started and drove fine. parked it for a couple hours then had to move it out of the driveway. It stuttered again and shutdown this time. It took a couple tries but it started up again and was stuttering. Seems like when the rpm's are higher it has no issues. I just changed the oil and filters. Any ideas on what might have caused this?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    1992 24v Safari high roof Td42
    1994 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon
    2020 Subaru Forester
    2019 Subaru Ascent.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    TDs are simple beasts. It might be the fuel pump or air leak in the fuel system or something similar. Hopefully a Diesel Guru can point you in the right direction.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Steve0.adams (26th January 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I changed out the oil. I suspect that the oil the shop put in was either not the correct viscosity or it was for petrol engines. It ran great for the first couple days. Then started shuddering. Once that happened I noticed that the oil gauge was reading almost nothing and would only go up when I was going up a hill at high revs. Didn't notice any excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust but it smelled like an old diesel heater. So based off of that, it was either my oil pump failed or I had a light weight viscosity oil. Changed it out with a 20w40 for diesels and my gauge immediately started reading I had oil pressure. Ranging between the 2 and the 4, idle and driving. I hope I caught it in time and caused no permanent damage. I did not see any metal in the oil. And so far there has been no significant shuddering.

2020 Subaru Forester
    2019 Subaru Ascent.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve0.adams For This Useful Post:

mudnut (26th January 2023), MudRunnerTD (30th January 2023)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe the 4.2s have a small screen mesh filter where the fuel line goes into the injector pump and they can block up and they mostly get overlooked when servicing the car . when you take the fuel line off you have to look carefully as some people seem to not notice the mesh .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (30th January 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    i believe the 4.2s have a small screen mesh filter where the fuel line goes into the injector pump and they can block up and they mostly get overlooked when servicing the car . when you take the fuel line off you have to look carefully as some people seem to not notice the mesh .
    I already cleaned that out during a previous maintenance. But thank you for the reply.

2020 Subaru Forester
    2019 Subaru Ascent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve0.adams For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (30th January 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back at it. Started to shudder again over the weekend. Oil pressure is fine. It seems to happen randomly. It can start up fine with no shuddering and the next it will shudder with rpm dropping to 300-400. As well as sometimes when I let off the accelerator while stopping. I did double check the gauze filter in the injector pump again. It had a few very small pieces of debris. My next educated guess is fuel filter and or injectors. Only issue is there are no parts available on Guam. Going to put in an order for injectors and fuel filter through patrolapart. In the mean time I will get a can of liqui Moly diesel purge to see if that will tide me over. Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

2020 Subaru Forester
    2019 Subaru Ascent.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hand prime/pump to bleed air out of the fuel system as far as the injector pump. it should also show you if diesel is leaking past a hose connection etc. then you can start the thing and crack the injectors one by one to make sure they're bled up too.
    i always suggest to fit an electric diesel lift pump to help the old girls out.

I guess also check the wiring to your fuel solenoid (lower side of injector pump) and make sure that is solid.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, Manual or auto?? If auto then something-something TC or whatever. I don't deal with autos!
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihit View Post
    Hand prime/pump to bleed air out of the fuel system as far as the injector pump. it should also show you if diesel is leaking past a hose connection etc. then you can start the thing and crack the injectors one by one to make sure they're bled up too.
    i always suggest to fit an electric diesel lift pump to help the old girls out.

I guess also check the wiring to your fuel solenoid (lower side of injector pump) and make sure that is solid.
    Thanks for the suggestion I will bleed it when I get home. It is an auto.

2020 Subaru Forester
    2019 Subaru Ascent.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think shuddering after lifting off throttle would be a fuel thing . a bit above my experience level but maybe harmonic balancer or torque converter or a very very outside chance, a broken crankshaft . hope i am wrong , even the harmonic balancer can be a pain to replace .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast