OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Y62 no engine bay splash guards?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Y62 no engine bay splash guards?

G'day all,

My 62 bought new came without splash guard liners. I'm surprised these aren't a standard fitment like on the GU but I realise there are HBMC points here that need to be accessed from time to time. I like that the splash guards keep a lot of shit out of the engine bay and water away from the alternator, etc.
    Might think about how to install aftermarket (home-made) splash guards on the 62 and keep access to the HBMC nipples. Would there be any downside to this re airflow/ventilation issues it might create?

62 driver side:

IMG_1207.jpg

62 passenger side:

IMG_1206.jpg

Now this is the GU driver side. I replaced the original splash guard that had perished with a new one made in the shed:

IMG_1208.jpg

GU passenger side original not yet replaced. Note the factory push-stud holes provided for splash guard fitment. The 62 doesn't have these and I'm not sure I want to be drilling holes through there just yet!

IMG_1209.jpg

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting as I understood the splash guards were there to allow the pressure profile under the bonnet to be maintained, yet I have recently heard counter arguments around whether the rubber flaps maintain or decrease the under bonnet temps or engine running temps - totally confused about this now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    This is interesting as I understood the splash guards were there to allow the pressure profile under the bonnet to be maintained, yet I have recently heard counter arguments around whether the rubber flaps maintain or decrease the under bonnet temps or engine running temps - totally confused about this now.
    I couldn't see them increasing under-bonnet air pressure. In my mind they're solely to keep flying crap out of the engine bay. I might be wrong but that's my opinion.

What I'd be interested in finding out is how fitting aftermarket splash guards might affect airflow around the engine. It may improve it, it may reduce it, or it may not affect airflow at all. Hmmm..

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a bit of all that I think gents. I too was surprised by their omission.

My understanding of their purpose was both of your explanations to be honest.

In a water crossing they will help maintain that 7nder bonnet bubble and encourage a bow wave. I certainly saw a significant loss of bow wave when I fitted a Bonner scoop to the GQ. It was crazy!! No bonnet scoop ans these inflate will provide some pressure to help stop the entire engine bay filling with water I'd you keep that bow wave out front.

I assume these have been left out to contribute to cooling especially in low speed.

I was a little surprised at how much sand got up into thr engine bay of the 62 after this last trip. I did do close to 800kms or so on the beach though lol.

It would be pretty basic to cut some out Plas. Get a set of plugs off ebay and they will look factory fitted.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Plassy.

Munji 4x4 do some really nice composite ones for a lot of models. I know they were going to do a set for the y62. Give them a call and see if they are available yet. Have a look on there website for an example. We have fitted some to a new bt50 at work. They are a nice bit of kit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    It's a bit of all that I think gents. I too was surprised by their omission.

My understanding of their purpose was both of your explanations to be honest.

In a water crossing they will help maintain that 7nder bonnet bubble and encourage a bow wave. I certainly saw a significant loss of bow wave when I fitted a Bonner scoop to the GQ. It was crazy!! No bonnet scoop ans these inflate will provide some pressure to help stop the entire engine bay filling with water I'd you keep that bow wave out front.

I assume these have been left out to contribute to cooling especially in low speed.

I was a little surprised at how much sand got up into thr engine bay of the 62 after this last trip. I did do close to 800kms or so on the beach though lol.

It would be pretty basic to cut some out Plas. Get a set of plugs off ebay and they will look factory fitted.
    Yeah Daz I've got the rubber sheet and plugs in the shed, but I'm scared to be drilling holes all through the guard!

As for keeping air pressure under the bonnet, I just can't understand how splash guards could help with that. The splash guards aren't air tight, there's free airflow up through the windscreen scuttle panel and low forward speed during water crossings.

Anyhoo...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Hey Plassy.

Munji 4x4 do some really nice composite ones for a lot of models. I know they were going to do a set for the y62. Give them a call and see if they are available yet. Have a look on there website for an example. We have fitted some to a new bt50 at work. They are a nice bit of kit.
    Thanks Matt I'll check that out.

By the way, was great to catch up with you when I was up your way. Cheers mate.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

nissannewby (14th January 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Hey Plassy.

Ooh this could be interesting!

From their website: "Composite inner guard replacements front (Y62 Series 5) - COMING SOON"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th January 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Maxhead

Krisso, do you still have your D-Max? These are the composite inner guard replacements for your vehicle. Could you chuck up a pic of your splash guards (or open hole!) so I can visualise how these plug the gap?

@Winnie maybe same as your MUX?

Untitled.jpg