Thread: GVM uprades

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GVM uprades

Hi, just brought a 2019 Patrol series 5 TIL , can anybody help with advice on suspension up grade ie do i need GVM upgrade ( live in WA and tow a 3.3T caravan) Sorry if in wrong area with post but first timer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogswa View Post
    Hi, just brought a 2019 Patrol series 5 TIL , can anybody help with advice on suspension up grade ie do i need GVM upgrade ( live in WA and tow a 3.3T caravan) Sorry if in wrong area with post but first timer
    Hi mate, there are a few options for GVM upgrades. You will not get a GCM upgrade though.

Once you figure out what your weight looks like includ8ng Ball weight then your options for GVM will be clearer.

Everything from a 180kg GVM increase without any changes then up to a 4T, 4.2T and a 4.5T GVM upgrade 8s available.

Heavy duty Coils with Bags work well or up to Airbag Coil Delete with Self Leveling for a premium. Big bux though.

As you get heavier the price goes up accordingly. Do you need or want a Lift?

Upper and lower front control arms. Rear lower billet arms. Depends on how deep your pockets are to be honest.

Note that the wheel alignment on these is very important and best yo have aligned for your weight. The Airbag replacements allow you to align the car ate travel height. Being independent front and rear if the rear drops down with ball weight then the inside of the tyres can scrub out.

Hope that helps a little.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rogswa

G'day mate. I got a suspension upgrade for my ute using West Coast Suspension, and my local mechanic - who is also a vehicle examiner (Merredin) and he got all the paperwork sorted and affixed a modification plate for the 2inch lift. I think there is a WCS at Rockingham. Not sure where SOR you live.

For your consideration or putting it on the back burner. LOL.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,685 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had to re-do my GVM upgrade from the WA certification after bringing it home to Victoria, I had to do a very intense brake test with 44 emerg stops from 60 - 0 and 80 - 0 - no one has mentioned this as part of the process - is it actually performed? This was the VASS system in 2017. I know my GVM upgrade from WA was desktop certification from 400klm away and the car was never even sighted, just they clipped me $800. Just a point, and for the record I passed using factory pads/disks and braided brake lines.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question GVM vs BTC

Quote Originally Posted by rogswa View Post
    Hi I'm in a similar position except that I haven't bought the Patrol yet. I tow a 3.5T caravan when fully loaded with water, etc. I won't need much in the Patrol in terms of accessories - just a tow bar and roof rack. There will be two adults, 20kg dog plus equipment. I expect I'll put more stuff on the caravan and will get the suspension/axels upgraded to 3.8T. On the basis that I'll remain within the GCM, I think all I need to do is increase the Braked Towing Capacity (BTC) of the Patrol to 3.8T or 4.0T. My question is whether this can be done without a GVM upgrade? This cheaper and easier - presumably on a second hand Patrol??? Thanks to anyone who can provide some ideas/thoughts...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David LL View Post
    Hi I'm in a similar position except that I haven't bought the Patrol yet. I tow a 3.5T caravan when fully loaded with water, etc. I won't need much in the Patrol in terms of accessories - just a tow bar and roof rack. There will be two adults, 20kg dog plus equipment. I expect I'll put more stuff on the caravan and will get the suspension/axels upgraded to 3.8T. On the basis that I'll remain within the GCM, I think all I need to do is increase the Braked Towing Capacity (BTC) of the Patrol to 3.8T or 4.0T. My question is whether this can be done without a GVM upgrade? This cheaper and easier - presumably on a second hand Patrol??? Thanks to anyone who can provide some ideas/thoughts...
    You will need to do something with gvm if you have a gu, 3060kg, with you , your mrs and dog you will be almost there with 200kg caravan ball weight. I’ve just been through this and as I couldn’t afford a new patrol I had the sell and buy a bt50 with a gvm upgrade already done to 3500kg.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.