OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fizzing at the bung..to reality.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Just to be clear I'm freaking loving the 62, it just has idiosyncracies that irk me (can I say just like the partner?....sshhhhh!!). I'll come around I'm sure.
    But if you ask me what shits me about the GU2 TD42T? Ummm...........hang on...........wait a sec..........thinking here........ahhh.........nup. Sorry I got nothing. Oh yeah, head wobbles. Thats probably it! It doesn't have an annoying cruise control coz it doesn't have one, and it has a tape deck! Now that is special! But it's time to move on.
    Haha mate you have the ultimate of the ultimate.
    It's solar systems ahead of the troglodyte GU.
    You mentioned exhaust fitted. Let the lion roar and have heaps of panties thrown at ya !

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A Y62 newby's early observations after 5000km on road only:

So I bought myself a new Y62 late last year (2022), wide-eyed and bushy-tailed.
    I drove it stock, and loved it.
    The TI-L front bumper was as ugly as sin with its fake plastic chrome inserts, but got plans for that.
    The factory rims looked better in real life than in the brochure, but the 265 HTs had to go.
    So after 246km I lay under it and replaced the silent factory exhaust with an aftermarket system.
    I chucked new rims and some AT tyres on it and woohoo...loved it.
    I had a bullbar installed, replacing the ugly factory plastic front end. It looks the part, but front suspension performance was substantially affected even though I didn't exceed maximum front load limit. A bit vague cornering over bumps now.
    Adaptive cruise control - needs re-calibrating after bullbar install. It tried to kill me a few times after "seeing" slow vehicles in neighbouring lanes as if they were in mine and applying emergency braking. Thank god nobody was up my arse at the time.
    Steering wheel.....too skinny. My Ford Terrtitory has a much better ergonomic (bit thicker and smaller diameter) steering wheel.
    Steering wheel control buttons...not intuitive. I still need to look down to pick volume control and various other buttons. In comparison, the Territory's buttons are "just there" like a Jap-build should be.
    The 7-speed transmission is quite honestly bloody disappointing. There is no logical reason for so many gears matched to this amazing engine. Let it pull. (I compare it to the Territory's straight 6 petrol engine that torques so hard through a 6-speed transmission). One or two less gears would see this big donk pulling harder down low and less "flighty".
    Cruise control is hysterical. On gradients, on resume, even on setting it. Annoying.
    Its factory headlights, great.
    Its internal ergonomics, great.
    Cooled seating, unbeatable!
    Its looks, great.
    Its engine.... f_cking amazing. No more to be said.
    The HBMC (Hydraulic Body Motion Control) suspension is something else! Bloody amazing. No going back.

These observations are based solely on my highway blast up to Queensland and back over the Christmas break. Maybe some of my negative opinions will change once I get the thing properly off road which I admit I haven't done yet.

Maybe that transmission will win me over in the bush!
    i dare you to find the limiter before @MudRunnerTD does haha. well done mate!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Hodge (12th January 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,022 Times in 3,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Haha mate you have the ultimate of the ultimate.
    It's solar systems ahead of the troglodyte GU.
    You mentioned exhaust fitted. Let the lion roar and have heaps of panties thrown at ya !

Mate I throw me own panties out the window when I floor it

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th January 2023), mudski (13th January 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    On the soft stuff on the beach the 62 is basically an Animal. The gear box excels on the beach mate. Just sweet symphony.

I have not really played with Rock Mode yet but sand mode was great.

But....... make sure you know how to actually get the thing into 4wd and further, into Low Range. Don't figure this out after you are bogged.....

AWD to 4WD on the fly is fine.
    Hi range to Low range, stop. Foot on brake. Select neutral, select low range, ding, drive on. Low range is a beast.
    Yeah covered that.

There's also a 2wd-only hack I found on youtube (Dash Offroad). Pull the 4wd fuse under the bonnet and AWD is disabled. I kept my factory spare based on this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th January 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    This !!! And mud, and bog holes ! It's in another league ... 4.8 used to be king of "bop bop bop" limiter fun .. step aside ! The 62 shreds it all to bits...

What is the v8 volume?
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear I'm freaking loving the 62, it just has idiosyncracies that irk me (can I say just like the partner?....sshhhhh!!). I'll come around I'm sure.
    But if you ask me what shits me about the GU2 TD42T? Ummm...........hang on...........wait a sec..........thinking here........ahhh.........nup. Sorry I got nothing. Oh yeah, head wobbles. Thats probably it! It doesn't have an annoying cruise control coz it doesn't have one, and it has a tape deck! Now that is special! But it's time to move on.
    What do you think you will sell the GU for? I know someone who is looking for one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    What do you think you will sell the GU for? I know someone who is looking for one.
    I'll PM you mate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

mudski (13th January 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    What is the v8 volume?
    They're 5.6L mate.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah covered that.

There's also a 2wd-only hack I found on youtube (Dash Offroad). Pull the 4wd fuse under the bonnet and AWD is disabled. I kept my factory spare based on this.
    yeah i had issues on teh beach on my first bog, the thing just would not select low range and would not spin any wheels. was very very strange. it seemed to not allow me to slelect low because it was already under pressure. Was a frustrating time on the beach and i wondered why i sold the GUIV. Once it selected (This took several minutes and turning the car off a couple of times even) then it was basically a Beast and didnt show any signs of strugling after that.

Yes i have watched plenty of Dash vids, i have spoken at length with him a few times too when i first bought the car. I bought the rear difflock bypass loom off him and rate this mod highly as it basically changes the rear difflock into a selectable E Locker which is nice.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12