Thread: TD42 not sounding right

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42 not sounding right

Hey guys, recently td42 swapped my tb42 efi gq. Engine is freshly rebuilt with a new head, 10mm pump is only 20,000km old, new injectors, brand new GTurbo green wheel with new manifold and gaskets and front mount intercooler. Only thing that's not new are the glow plugs so it struggles a bit to start when cold, when warm it runs rather good but there is a constant diesel knock/ticking noise that is quite loud hot or cold and increases with revs. I started to think the ticking was normal but I recently drove my mates td42 gq with 410,000km and the engine sounded like a petrol compared to mine. I used a stethoscope to try pin point where the noise is coming from and the majority is coming from the manifolds, especially the intake manifold. Driving me insane trying to work it out
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LKrLJv73VzM (Video of the sound)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcorney For This Useful Post:

AB (10th December 2022), MB (10th December 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day Icorney Mate
    Surprised you’ve beautifully tricked the Beast up with expensive breathing pipework and kept a 20k unknown old 10mm injector pump Brother?
    My stupid iphoney nuffy speaker here full of sawdust kinda sounds like steel on steel gears ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should create a NEW thread Folks, how to Fark with a half deaf carnt
    Now it sounds like Tappets are in need of HOT adjustments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ticking or knocking... sounds like valve issue.
    These are pushrod engines. Inlets wear out, exhausts wear in. Or the other way around... you'll find out.
    Spec is 0.35mm HOT.

Glow plugs generally either work or they don't. You can check the relay, earthing, and power to the rail...
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problem recently with the timing control valve aka tcv it knocks and rattles like mad if it can’t sense it as it runs the timing at full advance, could be the problem? Check the plug on the bottom of the diesel pump is connected to the wiring loom and also that the plug is tight.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like tappets to me.
    What oil / grade / brand are you using?
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you guys really listen something there? Just a cold engine to me...

For example, listen to this audio and note the diference of the sound from the first minute to the last minute, when the engine is already at working temperature.

https://youtu.be/O0ZoFY8o1AM
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (12th December 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    Can you guys really listen something there? Just a cold engine to me...

For example, listen to this audio and note the diference of the sound from the first minute to the last minute, when the engine is already at working temperature.

https://youtu.be/O0ZoFY8o1AM
    Thats an interesting Vid. Grabbing a sound bight at 20 seconds and another at 4mins and there is a fair differesnce for sure.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lcorney View Post
    Hey guys, recently td42 swapped my tb42 efi gq. Engine is freshly rebuilt with a new head, 10mm pump is only 20,000km old, new injectors, brand new GTurbo green wheel with new manifold and gaskets and front mount intercooler. Only thing that's not new are the glow plugs so it struggles a bit to start when cold, when warm it runs rather good but there is a constant diesel knock/ticking noise that is quite loud hot or cold and increases with revs. I started to think the ticking was normal but I recently drove my mates td42 gq with 410,000km and the engine sounded like a petrol compared to mine. I used a stethoscope to try pin point where the noise is coming from and the majority is coming from the manifolds, especially the intake manifold. Driving me insane trying to work it out
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LKrLJv73VzM (Video of the sound)
    my initial thought when i started your video. (I did not read your full description above) was that you have an exhaust Leak. I still tend to think you do. That video posted by Brazilian is interesting though for sure. Load them both up and grab 3 sound bites. Still think you ahve an exhasut leak though. How muchg boost are you running? and under power are you getting the tuned boost at teh intake?

A faulty or blown off PVC could make that noise for sure though as Stropp suggested.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the late reply guys, i have check the tappets (hot) multiple times and they're still in spec (0.35mm). I see no signs of exhaust leaks and the sound is mostly coming from the intake side of the engine. I'm running Valvoline super diesel 15w40 and Ryco oil filters. The sound is more noticeable at lower revs but I can constantly hear it through the firewall while driving. The 10mm pump is only temporary, I will be running a 11mm pump in the near future when I have enough funds. Cheers guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast