Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Door Latch Issue??

Ok,

Have a small issue with my 2013 GU Patrol Cab Chassis.

Yesterday morning, the door would not latch closed. The same thing happen about a week ago, which after using the remote door control a couple of times it all came good . . . but not this time . . . using the remote door control didn't work yesterday and I had to drive 10klm home holding my door closed so it would not swing open.

Once home I tried the remote a few more times over 10min with no luck in getting to door to latch, so finally gave up and did a run to Newcastle to grab a new door latch.

After getting back from Newcastle with the new latched . . . the door was closed . . . and now I can't open the door.

Has anyone experience the same issue before?

And if So, how did you get the door open?
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bugger. Would have been so much better for you if it stayed unlatched. Growler here had that problem and there's a thread somewhere on it. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Edit: try here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Door-Wont-Open!!!
    Last edited by Plasnart; 22nd November 2022 at 07:32 PM.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (23rd November 2022), mudnut (22nd November 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Bugger. Would have been so much better for you if it stayed unlatched. Growler here had that problem and there's a thread somewhere on it. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Edit: try here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Door-Wont-Open!!!
    farkin bastard door locks

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

mudski (23rd November 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,

After some searching through the forums and looking at supplied links . . . it's looking like it's going to be a real prick of a fun task :-(

I'll get the Son to help me tomorrow arvo to pull the drivers seat out the passenger side, Friday arvo play around with the passenger door trim to see just how much lee way I can expect with the drivers side trim . . . and then I've got all Sat, Sun and Monday to get in and release the latch . . . really not looking forward to this
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant209 For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (24th November 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Grant. I used a 300mm cold chisel from memory and smashed the effer off

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well job done . . .

Main issue for me was the Lock mechanism where the Inside Door/Key Rods and Lock Actuator connects to the Door Latch.

The small plastic pivot pin (shown in image below) that many Forum Post have described had broken and fallen out. I will say I didn't knew what I was doing, luck came to my rescue more so then my skills in getting the door open again . . . most of the forum post I read describe how to repair the issue, not how you get your door open as was my issue, but either way I was happy to see the door open again.

I was prepared to suffer a little damage, even prepared to sacrifice the Door Trim in my attempt to get it off with the door closed, luckily a little damage was the case.

I pulled the passenger seat out thinking that might give me more room to assist getting the drivers seat out first too. I then looked at pulling the Passenger side door trim off first to see how the door trim was made/put together . . . the upper being chip board and the lower being plastic moulding panel. I was happy in knowing 6 to 7 small screws joining the lower panel to the upper panels together and would probably just pull through the upper panel chip board where they held the lower plastic portion of the door trim to the upper trim.

After pulling the rubber door seal off, I just used force to pull the lower plastic door trim off the door exposing majority of the inner door skin . . . as expected the small screws just pulled through the the chip board like I had hopped. Sadly this did not expose all the portion of the door I needed access too, so I ended up pulling the upper trim off too with a small portion of the chip board tearing away near the door handle.

To re-secure the lower plastic moulding trim to the upper chip board trim, I used wide flat washers with the small screws to re-secure the plastic moulding back to the chip board of the upper door trim panel . . . which worked a treat.

Below is an image with a red arrow that identifies the small plastic pivot pin that was my issue, which is know to brake and fall out. With the plastic pin gone, the looking mechanism in my case is unable to function correctly. I have read where other Patrol owners have replaced these Plastic Pins with metal screws and My Son Ryan who is a Mazda Mechanic has said his Workshop Manager is aware of a company that refurbish car door latches and replaces these plastic pins with metal pins.

Hopefully I wont need to do this for a while now.

fdaf0980-75d0-4621-b0c3-a3a025730006.jpg
    Last edited by Grant209; 27th November 2022 at 10:12 AM.
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grant209 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (27th November 2022), mudnut (27th November 2022), Plasnart (27th November 2022)