Thread: 2002 GX Nissan Patrol , Mystery

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool 2002 GX Nissan Patrol , Mystery

Hi Everyone, I am new to this Forum. The Mystery is, This vehicle has done 300.000 KM it has presented a real problem, it has a new starter, new glow plugs , new heavy duty battery, On a cold morning it will not start the click of the relay is heard ,the glow plug light is on and when it turns over it turns very slow like the battery is almost flat. roll it down hill and instant start then turn around ,park and turn off and it will start and run all day perfectly,does anyone know if the relay can appear to operate but not be sending current to the glow plugs and why the starter turns over slowly all on a cold morning, a jump start makes no difference,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Check the connections to the starter, as it seems to be a problem there. Is it a good starter or a cheap Ebay purchase? Also check the earth straps to the engine and chassis. Did you check that the alternator is charging properly?
    Last edited by mudnut; 27th October 2022 at 04:18 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you take a pic of the battery showing the type on the sticker with the terminals in the pic also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome, All has been checked out and all good,I have taken it to three mechanics and all cannot find the problem

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply, I am elderly and no good with the photo and phone thing however it is a brand new Bond battery fitted by them,three garages have looked at the vehicle and could not find the problem.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly sounds electrical, battery would have to be load-tested.
    Glow plug function can be tested with a voltmeter (I assume it runs through a computer...and they're normally my first suspect for things-not-working)
    Through I would also check for shorts to ground (through a relay/solenoid) and maybe a sticking fuel solenoid.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

Parmenter43 (28th October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where are you? Maybe there is a reputable workshop that a nearby forum member can point you to. I think Bonds are usually a very good battery, but yeah, a load test will confirm it is getting a full charge. But not starting with a jump start points to the starter or plugs.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyneton Vic

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think an auto electrician may be a better bet than a garage mechanic. To me it sounds like a battery not holding charge. Bump start it & the short run it gets puts enough charge in the battery for the next start........provided you don't leave it too long. If a garage checked the battery voltage after you have just driven there, they may not have picked up on it. If you can borrow a known good battery to try it would test this 'hypothesis'.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cuppa, Knowing when it is a cold morning that it won't start I replaced the battery with a new HD one from the tractor , same thing it would only turn over very slow, I then rolled it from the small hill where I leave it so it can be rolled 2nd gear and 2 seconds away she went, it will go all day and pull well next day cold same thing , through warm weather instant key start , Retired heavy vehicle mechanic and seen many odd things but this has me intriged as I am from the old school and the modern systems elude me a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast