Thread: Wheel Alignment question for smart people

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wheel Alignment question for smart people

Ok, trying to do a Cowboy front wheel alignment. Yes yes, I could go somewhere but close enough will do gents.

Ok, on the hoist and measuring tread block to tread block. Front and back of a 37 Trep.

Measurements are

Front 1406mm
    Rear is 1409mm
    Diameter at tread block is 818mm

Now I think standard Front end alignment is like 2 degrees Toe In.

The above are a very slight Toe In. I don't want to scrubb out the tyres but keen to get somewhere near factory if i can.

Any Mathematicians out the can tell me what the measurements should be to be close to 2degrees Toe In.

Can someone also confirm I'm chasing 2 Degrees Toe In

Thanks Gents.

Anyone with Kids doing Year 12 Maths this will be a cake walk for them. Lol
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    asin3/818=0.210deg

But you are running highly unroadworthy tyres and could kill thousands of young kiddies and albatrosses with such an aggressive tyre and big beard. Buy a really big mirror and have a look at what you are doing. I like marmalade curry as well

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (23rd October 2022), Plasnart (23rd October 2022), Rossco (26th October 2022), Winnie (23rd October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok mate this is what I worked out. If you look at your wheel from above and turn it 360 degrees with a pen taped to the tread, you'll draw a circle on the floor. This circle will have a diameter of 818mm. You want to work out the length of that circumference for a 2 degree turn. So the circumference of a circle formula is 2 x pi x radius. So your circle is 2 x pi x 414 = 2601.24mm in length. So for every 1 degree slice of that pie, the circumference is 2601.24/360 = 7.23mm. Therefore for a 2 degree toe in, 7.23mm x 2 = 14.46mm. This sounds like wayyyy too much toe in mate, unless I've completely stuffed up the calculation!

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (23rd October 2022), rusty_nail (23rd October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The spec is a measurement Daz. It's -2mm to 0mm. This equates to anything from 0-9°.

You also need to be doing the measurement witht the vehicle on the ground. As it will be different on the hoist with the suspension at full droop.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (24th October 2022), mihit (25th October 2022), mudnut (23rd October 2022), MudRunnerTD (23rd October 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Ok mate this is what I worked out. If you look at your wheel from above and turn it 360 degrees with a pen taped to the tread, you'll draw a circle on the floor. This circle will have a diameter of 818mm. You want to work out the length of that circumference for a 2 degree turn. So the circumference of a circle formula is 2 x pi x radius. So your circle is 2 x pi x 414 = 2601.24mm in length. So for every 1 degree slice of that pie, the circumference is 2601.24/360 = 7.23mm. Therefore for a 2 degree toe in, 7.23mm x 2 = 14.46mm. This sounds like wayyyy too much toe in mate, unless I've completely stuffed up the calculation!
    You scare me... but you are right!!!! Way too much
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    The spec is a measurement Daz. It's -2mm to 0mm. This equates to anything from 0-9°.

You also need to be doing the measurement witht the vehicle on the ground. As it will be different on the hoist with the suspension at full droop.
    But?? It's the GQ. Suspension will have nothing to do with surely??? A solid front Axle has a controlled fixed length?

But another note though, so my 3mm is plenty? Too much even? It's 1.5mm per side?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    But?? It's the GQ. Suspension will have nothing to do with surely??? A solid front Axle has a controlled fixed length?

But another note though, so my 3mm is plenty? Too much even? It's 1.5mm per side?
    You still have castor. So the position of the tyres sitting at ride height will be different when the suspension is drooped. If castor didn't exist then you would be fine.

But yes you are close. You could work back from those measurements. 0.1mm is equal to approximately 0.45°. So if you have -3mm toe then you are at around 13.5°.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (23rd October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You still have castor. So the position of the tyres sitting at ride height will be different when the suspension is drooped. If castor didn't exist then you would be fine.

But yes you are close. You could work back from those measurements. 0.1mm is equal to approximately 0.45°. So if you have -3mm toe then you are at around 13.5°.
    I have absolutely no comprehension of these figures Matt, 13.5 degrees of what equals 3mm?

But this is not my thread so ignore if I am an ignoramus.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th October 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    I have absolutely no comprehension of these figures Matt, 13.5 degrees of what equals 3mm?

But this is not my thread so ignore if I am an ignoramus.
    Just backwards working the numbers. The spec says -2mm to 0mm for the toe. It also states that this is 0-9°. So if 0mm is 0° the -2mm is 9°. Then I just divide that into 20 points so 1 point is 0.1mm. Which equals 0.45°. Darren is at -3mm with his toe adjustment. So 1mm equals 10 points or 4.5° on top of the 9° at -2mm toe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th October 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just backwards working the numbers. The spec says -2mm to 0mm for the toe. It also states that this is 0-9°. So if 0mm is 0° the -2mm is 9°. Then I just divide that into 20 points so 1 point is 0.1mm. Which equals 0.45°. Darren is at -3mm with his toe adjustment. So 1mm equals 10 points or 4.5° on top of the 9° at -2mm toe.
    Thanks mate, that's what I was looking for. I will drop it on the ground and try and get it to 2mm. Measuring off treads alone with a tape measure there is almost certainly 1mm in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast