Thread: Someone needs advice - Oil pressure problem on Cape York

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone needs advice - Oil pressure problem on Cape York

Hi folks, a couple are in strife with their TD42 up near the tip of Cape York. They are camped at Roonga Point which is an isolated spot about 30kms from the nearest (but limited) mechanical services at Bamaga. I think it's a '94 TD42

The wife wrote (on Facebook) :
    Hi guys, my husband & I finished the old teletrack a few days ago. We got to the tip yesterday but on the way there we noticed the engine oil pressure was extremely high (it got to 6). We got to Bamaga & topped up with new oil (our car is a Nissan Patrol TD42) but it hasn’t dropped since we noticed it climbing from 4-6 between the old teletrack & Bamaga. We are currently sitting at Roonga Point wondering if we can drive or not without damaging something. If anyone can offer any advice or recommendations that would be great! Thank you ��

I suspect that either they have an oil pressure gauge which has been affected by water??? OR blocked filters. If it were me I would be looking at the dipstick to see if I could determine any oil contamination & removing the filters .... but I carry spare filters & oil, I'm guessing they may not or they'd probably be doing the same.

Would a blocked breather cause this? If so where would look for the breather?

Obviously they are hoping not to need an expensive recovery if they can do something themselves, but I have no idea how 'mechanical they are.

What would you do in their shoes? I think if it were me & I could confirm no water in oil & no blockage, I'd have a look at the oil pressure sender unit & ensure it was dry & give it a spray with WD40 ......... but what would be the best way to confirm there is no blockage?

I have given them a link to this forum, but I know from first hand experience the phone signal at Roonga point is pretty hit & miss.

Please share your thoughts & I'll try to pass them on.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 14th October 2022 at 09:02 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone needs advice - Oil pressure problem on Cape York

Pop the oil cap on the rocker cover maybe and see if oil is making its way up top to gravity down around again hopefully and travel lightly to Bamaga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (14th October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds more like an electrical/resistance issue with the gauge. If they only had an oil pressure light like most cars they probably wouldn't have a problem at all.
    You don't often hear about high oil pressure being a problem.
    Hope the local mechanic has a real oil pressure gauge for testing.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th October 2022), mihit (15th October 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the breather is the bypass pressure hose from the top of the rocker cover back to the intake system . if it was blocked i would think you would see oil weeping from oil seals before you would see such a rise in oil pressure . personally i would change oil filters and go from there . if they did a oil flush and oil change before there trip , they may not have flushed enough gunk out and what was left may have continued to loosen up and eventually made its way to the filters . the zd runs higher oil pressure , i would chance it and drive to town to get filters if they cannot find some one willing to bring them in for them . yes , it could be a gauge issue as well , bad earth ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The woman posted to say they are now sorted but hasn't answered my query about what the problem was. Irritates me when folk ask for help, receive it, but don't say what the solution was. Feels like just using others. Don't suppose it'll stop me trying to help when I can though.

On the oil sender possibility. When I fitted my oil pressure gauge I tee'd it off the same line as the factory sender unit so kept both. When corrugations shook the Redarc sender to bits & the gauge alarmed showing zero pressure I knew I was ok 'cos the oil pressure light was not lit.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

04OFF (21st October 2022), Hodge (15th October 2022), jff45 (16th October 2022), MB (17th October 2022), mudski (17th October 2022), pearcey (16th October 2022), Plasnart (15th October 2022), pollenface (18th October 2022), rusty_nail (15th October 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    The woman posted to say they are now sorted but hasn't answered my query about what the problem was. Irritates me when folk ask for help, receive it, but don't say what the solution was. Feels like just using others. Don't suppose it'll stop me trying to help when I can though.

On the oil sender possibility. When I fitted my oil pressure gauge I tee'd it off the same line as the factory sender unit so kept both. When corrugations shook the Redarc sender to bits & the gauge alarmed showing zero pressure I knew I was ok 'cos the oil pressure light was not lit.
    Firstly glad they're sorted, albeit curious what the issue was. And that is also one of my absolute pet hates across forums and on A LOT of Facebook groups. A poster has a problem, and after, sometimes a lot of people put in the effort to type an answer, suggest fixes etc... Poster goes quiet, eventually re-surfacing later with a simple "All good", "All fixed", quiet often without even a thanks or disappearing entirely, let alone explanation what actually happened...
    2005 TD42TI

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

04OFF (21st October 2022), Cuppa (16th October 2022), jff45 (16th October 2022), mudski (17th October 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Firstly glad they're sorted, albeit curious what the issue was. And that is also one of my absolute pet hates across forums and on A LOT of Facebook groups. A poster has a problem, and after, sometimes a lot of people put in the effort to type an answer, suggest fixes etc... Poster goes quiet, eventually re-surfacing later with a simple "All good", "All fixed", quiet often without even a thanks or disappearing entirely, let alone explanation what actually happened...
    I just got a PM from the woman this evening, so I spoke too soon about her lack of response. I think they were overwhelmed by the variety of responses she got, some good, some not so good. They managed to do an oil & filter change, & cleaned up the sensor connection, with no change. Managed to get a RACQ person out who couldn't find anything wrong & suggested they drive down to Bamaga & go the mechanics there tomorrow, which is what they are doing. They (& I) are thinking it must be the sensor itself (rather than the connection).
    Last edited by Cuppa; 16th October 2022 at 08:32 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (17th October 2022), MB (17th October 2022), mudnut (16th October 2022)