OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick with auto front hubs or replace with manual?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stick with auto front hubs or replace with manual?

Hi all,
    My 2000 GU 4.2td 5spd manual, has, or course, auto locking hubs. It seems to me that some like them, most don't. I think I'm falling into the "don't like" brigade.
    The idea of backing up a bit to disengage seems to me a bit of a crappy idea. In auto, when travelling say a dirt road, and I need to grab 4H, when changing back to 2H does it automatically disengage? Or should I LOCK hubs when starting dirt roads and then just grab 4H/2H as needs arise?
    I also find that, according to my manual, swapping between 2H and 4H can only be done below 40kph; my earlier GQ could be done below 100kph, far more sensible and useful.

I have seen the video on changing the auto to manual hubs, and of course there are AVM replacement hubs (around $450 plus labour).
    When going away up the sticks I'm usually pulling my Trakmaster caravan (ATM 2450kg). Would you folk advise replacing the Nissan auto hubs with the AVM?
    Are there alternatives to AVM? Are original Nissan GQ hubs an option?

Like to know your collective thoughts on this. Yes, I need to be schooled on this issue.

Cheers, Chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have only ever had manual hubs.
    Have often left hubs locked in for months at a time travelling in the outback. Just need to remember to put the car back into 2wd when getting on to hard road surfaces. Many outback vehicles probably never have their hubs unlocked. To change from 2wd to 4wd or vice versa I always slow to a stop.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMHO .Simple mod, but probably not needed unless you are running a front locker or are having problems. If in doubt just lock the hubs in before going offroad. Have been told the original hub locks are quite strong anyway. Just fit a pair of hub saver rings from Patrolapart.
    Last edited by mudnut; 15th September 2022 at 10:02 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (16th September 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have auto hubs and lock them whenever I go off-road in 4wd, no different that manual just unlock when back on the road and it’s not like you need to reverse up a kilometre.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AVMs are Rubbish mate. OEM or nothing. Auto are fine for a Tourer. When you are going into 5wd for days just lock them.

GQ Manual hubs are your only alternative, they bolt straight up but Drug money is required to buy a set
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (16th September 2022), Hodge (16th September 2022), Rossco (16th September 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As above stay away from AVM.
    Keep original and take out that shitty auto plate.
    Make them 100% manual.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (16th September 2022)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, thanks for the replies.
    I like the idea of drug money, but I seem to keep having crop failures (just as well two slipped through, ha ha).
    Hodge, good idea.
    Anyway I think for now I'll just get into the habit of manually locking when going on to dirt; have to stop anyway to air down or up.
    Cheers, Chris

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

Hodge (16th September 2022), MudRunnerTD (16th September 2022), Stropp (17th September 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had some issue with auto hubs on 99 GU.
    Did the quick mod myself ... took about 30 minutes or so for both hubs. Now "lock" is lock and "auto" is off.
    Never had an issue since.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EddieOlsen For This Useful Post:

Hodge (17th September 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieOlsen View Post
    Had some issue with auto hubs on 99 GU.
    Did the quick mod myself ... took about 30 minutes or so for both hubs. Now "lock" is lock and "auto" is off.
    Never had an issue since.
    Yeah mine kept clicking and carrying on once in a while.
    Also, I like to have 100% unlocked when Low 2WD is needed. For example reversing a trailer or boat up a incline or something. With Auto hubs they keep locking and unlocking and then there's a chance of gear bind up. So, Auto hub plate in the bin.
    2005 TD42TI

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (17th September 2022)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hodge and EddieOlsen, might have to look into this too. Maybe long-term it is the better, safer, answer,
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast