Thread: Broken drive dowel in top cam gear ZD30

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken drive dowel in top cam gear ZD30

Hi ,it seems that the bolt holding timing chain gear onto the cam gear became loose and the dowel that drives the cam gear broke [ hence my other post on head removal ]
    There was a little damage done to the timing sproket but thats included in a timing chain kit.
    There does not appear to be any damage to the cam gear, as to the hole that receives the dowel.
    Looked on Ebay and a 4mm hardened dowel is $6 , its longer than needed but I will just cut it back to length, being carefull not to get it too hot.
    Has anyone done this before as i believe you have to buy the gear and dowel together from Nissan.
    10 min. later I have just rung a large Nissan dealer [Barossa Valley ], says the part is not listed.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Later in the day
    removed the gear from camshaft,,, Hmm no hole in the back ,its a blind hole that holds the dowel. The broken off piece is still in there. Tappy Tappy ,bang bang , wont come out.
    Try drilling it out , and unexpectadly, its not that hard and drills out easy.
    Hmm that didnt seem to be a hardened pin and the one that just arrived IS.
    Too big to go in, so with a bit of measuring it seems my pin is 4 one hundreths of a mil. bigger than the hole, interferance fit.
    poped it in the freezer along with the pliers to hold it, and heated the gear with a flame, not too hot ,bit more than enough to make my spit sizzle.
    OK al ready,,, go,,, grab the pin with my icy pliers tappy tappy with small hammer ,, and Yah its gone in 6 out of the 7mm of the hole depth.
    I will work out how much it has to protrude and cut it back to that, then just a smig off it so it does not stop the sproket hitting home.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagwill For This Useful Post:

mudski (8th September 2022), Touses (8th September 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    measure the hole with the gear hot ...ie put it in boiling water pin in the freezer .. sorry not well