Thread: Gu td42ti Ute cold start engine rattle

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes the rattle is a feature !
    Here in Canberra mine has a rattle most mornings .
    Just wait for a bit and away you go .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thanks for the replies sorry it has taken so long to answer, I have been away for work. I had 2 glow plugs that were buggered and I replaced them all last night but unfortunately it hasnt fixed the problem. Thanks Brazilian Y60 I will jump.on that link and read what it says now. Also thankyou nissannewby, are u saying that there are 3 different solenoids that I need to check or is it one solenoid that does those 3 things ( coolant temp, injection pulse and timing control ). Thanks again

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what part of the Country are you in . I think you maybee chasing a feature not a fault !
    My pump was recently rebuilt . startup somtimes sounds like a few spanners loose ... when its -5 C
    but soon changes . the control Advances the injection timing up when very cold .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Tasmania mate, so yes it does cold but it shouldn't do that. I have a couple of other gu utes with td42t engines in them and although I had some trouble with one a few years ago idling rough and blowing lots of smoke on cold starts the problem was fixed when I replaced the dropping resistor that is a replaceable part that goes into the inlet manifold and had pump rebuilt at the same time. The other 2 utes I have are not the td42ti engine so they don't have the few electrics that this one I am having problems with now does, neither of them are intercooled either. Another interesting point is that the other 2 have the dropping resistor in the inlet manifold where the td42ti doesn't!!?? I know at least 4 other people with td42ti engines in their utes and they do not sound like mine does on cold days. It may not cause any problems by making the noise but I want to know what causes it or if in fact it is something mechanical that could lead to a very expensive engine rebuild.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12