Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone!

Hey everyone!

First joined this forum a few years back for helpful advice on fixing various patrol issues. Forgot to post my intro way back then but better late than never right?!

Im relatively new to the patrol and 4X4 scene. First purchased my 1992 GQ patrol back in 2020 when my van decided to snuff it. Originally it was a TB42 EFI and came with a generous suspension kit from Superior Engineering. At the time, I wasn’t particularly looking for a forby but this popped up on Facebook Marketplace and looked good value for money. I got in right before the covid price hike (phew!).

I’ve spent a fair wedge on the vehicle now from general maintenance to setting up the rig for a lap of OZ. First replacing the bald tyres that came with it and replacing the window actuators so the windows worked. There was a ton of bodgy things done to the car which I gradually fixed as I came across them. I quickly became aware the the TB42 motor was getting tired and I had to do something about it.

Since then I’ve engine swapped the patrol for a 4Litre 6 cylinder barra motor with a ZF 6 speed transmission. The whole car was gutted and kitted out for touring. Everything from stage 2 sound deadening, new seats, drawer system, 12v system, rock sliders, bullbar, winch, touring spec rear bar, RTT and 270 awning. Plus adding and improving the suspension kit as well as having the engine swap and suspension lift/tyres engineered in NSW. All-in it was around a 12 month project with many starts and stops along the way but … hugely impressed with the improved drivability and performance of the vehicle now.

Outside of tinkering with the car, I’m a primary teacher by trade and have taught for 6 years. 2 years in the UK where I grew up and studied and a further 4 years here in Australia. I’ve taken a big step back this year and have opted for a break from teaching to travel around Oz with my partner. Started in NSW and travelled clockwise. Seeing TAS, VIC, SA and the bottom half of WA. We have now stopped for 6 weeks to work and top up the travel funds before going again to see the north end of WA and the NT.

That’s me in a nutshell. I hope it gave you an insight into who I am

*I have attached a photo of my patrol
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robby1991 For This Useful Post:

AB (1st August 2022), Cremulator (1st August 2022), growler2058 (2nd August 2022), MB (1st August 2022), mudnut (31st July 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome, Great looking rig, how's the barra vs TB42 fuel wise?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brumby Boy For This Useful Post:

MB (1st August 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brumby Boy View Post
    welcome, Great looking rig, how's the barra vs TB42 fuel wise?
    Thank you! It’s quite a hard comparison to do as I went from a completely empty TB42 getting around 20L/100 to a fully loaded touring setup with the barra. I’m getting between 17-19L/100 depending on what type of driving I’m doing.

I’d say it might get down to 15-16 once the touring stuff comes off.

I must say, it’s an absolute pleasure to drive. Eats up the kilometres on the freeway, doesn’t go from 100 to 80km/hr when hitting any hills and the zf6 is such a nice transmission to match the engine. Only thing I don’t like is that accelerator is fly by wire rather than a direct throttle cable to throttle body. So there’s a little bit of a dead patch when putting the pedal down. So slower, more technical stuff does take a little more focus and control. I hear the throttle controllers help a great deal to smooth it out.

Overall, it was a big project from start to finish (including all the touring stuff) but totally worth it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Robby1991 For This Useful Post:

MB (1st August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate, welcome aboard.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!