Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPgraded CV 's and axle recommendation for GQ Patrol

I am considering an upgrade to the factory cv's and axle set and looking for recommendations. I read the RCV set-ups has a lifetime warranty, however what else out there have people used? Its for longevity and that odd time when the situation hammers a corner and the extra strength would be nice to have. I have not had an issue with the existing axle/cv setup however they are now at 120,000klm and have turned and swivelled a fair number of times already - anything to reduce the occurrence of one failing at the most inconvenient time I suppose. The selection is about performance as against cost because there is not much difference cost wise between the few CV's and axles as upgrade items.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Phil, after doing a trackide replacement with a fairly used one will be going some upgraded ones as well. . Was looking at Cal 4WD or RCV which roadrunner have so will go with those I think. . Need to head up to the valley (latrobe) tomorrow so may have to take a slight detour on the way back damitt . . . Will also upgrade axle seals and GU lock nut setup too. .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    120k is not much unless you're punishing them every day. I fitted some of these: https://wheelersoffroad.com/longfiel...-birfield.html earlier in the year.
    No drama, but then, I wouldn't expect any for a decade or two...
    One big plus is that they're greasable just by popping off the lock hub.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (31st July 2022), PeeBee (31st July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes RCV was what I was trying to remember Rossco. RCV or CAL-OFFROAD and near bullet proof. If you are sticking with a GQ front diff then either of those would be my GOTO.

Chromoly, bullet proof. Also use the Trail Safe upgraded inner axle seals for the win.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (31st July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Lonfields are also very highly regarded but not sure if they have an Axle option or you have to pop your factory CV off your axle. I have snapped an axle twice.

Given the weight of your car PeeBee I would be looki g for a full replacement CV and Axle. Rossco will attest to the fact that when he smashed his it was not a massive hit and she just went Pop. No catastrophe, just Pop and then 3 wheel drive.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (31st July 2022)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    The Lonfields are also very highly regarded but not sure if they have an Axle option or you have to pop your factory CV off your axle. I have snapped an axle twice.

Given the weight of your car PeeBee I would be looking for a full replacement CV and Axle. Rossco will attest to the fact that when he smashed his it was not a massive hit and she just went Pop. No catastrophe, just Pop and then 3 wheel drive.
    Yep, stitch in time philosophy. I will be trying to shed some weight down the track, unsure how the see-saw is going pan out. Its going to a system, axle and cv's. The RCV are in my sights at the moment, will look at the others now - stuck up here until at Least Aug 15 now, maybe longer, so doing the research.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (31st July 2022)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihit View Post
    120k is not much unless you're punishing them every day. I fitted some of these: https://wheelersoffroad.com/longfiel...-birfield.html earlier in the year.
    No drama, but then, I wouldn't expect any for a decade or two...
    One big plus is that they're greasable just by popping off the lock hub.
    I am assuming you swapped axles as well. I understand the standard CV is 27 spline?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Hey Phil, after doing a trackide replacement with a fairly used one will be going some upgraded ones as well. . Was looking at Cal 4WD or RCV which roadrunner have so will go with those I think. . Need to head up to the valley (latrobe) tomorrow so may have to take a slight detour on the way back damitt . . . Will also upgrade axle seals and GU lock nut setup too. .

Keen to see what price they are fetching. I didn't see RCV's avail on the RR website for GQ's, only GU's - maybe I am wrong? Make sure you get a thrust block, which is required apparently when running a locker
    Last edited by PeeBee; 31st July 2022 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Because I am a beautiful man

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Keen to see what price they are fetching. I didn't see RCV's avail on the RR website for GQ's, only GU's - maybe I am wrong? Make sure you get a thrust block, which is required apparently when running a locker
    Looks like they have them
    https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au...-gq-y60-patrol

What is a said "thrust block" . . ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are looking at brand new CVs and Axles from Nissan bhahahahaha then these RCVs are Cheap for thr massive upgrade they offer.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (31st July 2022), Rossco (31st July 2022)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast