Thread: Gu drag link replacement?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu drag link replacement?

Hi all. Long time since I have asked a question although I have been lurking regularly.

The rubber bushes/boots at each end of draglink on my son's ute are cracked and need replacing.
    He almost dropped his beer when quoted stupid prices for the whole draglink instead just the rubber boots. As usual Nissan were the dearest but Pedders and Fulcrum were not cheap either.
    A backward step by Nissan from greasable front end on GQ's.
    Has anyone a better option?

cheers
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No Way i would fit an OEM Drag link Ever mate.

A Superior or Roadsafe brand Chromoly in 4140 with female tie rod ends for the win. It is the most exposed item on the car for impact and the factory is piss-weak.

Something like this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29271921...sAAOSwx3dblNQO

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...link&_osacat=0
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (30th July 2022), Wizard52 (30th July 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Mudrunner said. Get something decent while you're at it. Anything compared to OEM is stronger. I opted for the superior link. Bees knees.

2005 TD42TI

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (30th July 2022), Rossco (30th July 2022), Stropp (30th July 2022), Wizard52 (30th July 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back again with update.
    Existing drag link is in good condition so does not need to be replaced. It only the cracked rubber boots which will cost $10 from Superior Engineering.
    Pays to shop around.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd August 2022), MudRunnerTD (2nd August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 474 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always thought this was the steering link and the drag-link was the wheel to wheel one (or rather, knuckle to knuckle).
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    I have always thought this was the steering link and the drag-link was the wheel to wheel one (or rather, knuckle to knuckle).
    No the link behind the diff from knuckle to knuckle is the Tie Rod (Ties the hubs together?)

The Drag Link is in front ans goes from the Steering Box to the left side swivel hub and "Drags" the wheels in either direction using the steering wheel and steering box.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (3rd August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    Back again with update.
    Existing drag link is in good condition so does not need to be replaced. It only the cracked rubber boots which will cost $10 from Superior Engineering.
    Pays to shop around.
    Yes indeed. You will get the grease boot for a tie rod end at any Auto shop (Repco, supercheap, autopro) will all sell the. For $10 or so. Nice to have a spare.

For my money though the first link I changed on both the GQ and the GU was the Drag Link and the Tie Rod as they are both Very exposed and the Drag link is the first thing to hit something. If the tiered end is knackered then don't replace the end, junk the whole thing.

If he is flat out not using rhe car offroad then go the boot for sure. If he has a head shake replace rhe rod end. If he wants to do some tougher tracks junk it and go chromoly 100%.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yes indeed. You will get the grease boot for a tie rod end at any Auto shop (Repco, supercheap, autopro) will all sell the. For $10 or so. Nice to have a spare.

For my money though the first link I changed on both the GQ and the GU was the Drag Link and the Tie Rod as they are both Very exposed and the Drag link is the first thing to hit something. If the tiered end is knackered then don't replace the end, junk the whole thing.

If he is flat out not using rhe car offroad then go the boot for sure. If he has a head shake replace rhe rod end. If he wants to do some tougher tracks junk it and go chromoly 100%.
    Ute is his work vehicle as a painter (and decorator as I remind him) and we only go fishing to Fraser etc so no rock climbing or mud etc.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd August 2022), MudRunnerTD (3rd August 2022)