Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dreded wheel shake at 80 K

Hi all last week the 80 KPH shake grrr
    well had the wheels re balanced. mstill rbbish
    50mm lift all looks as it should under the car .
    adjusted wheel bearings lost the clpi !! fitted spare clip some change but not happy ... So out with the ceramic beads !
    result all gone drives like new car .. so its worth a try ..

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tip12345 For This Useful Post:

Bidja (27th July 2022), mihit (26th July 2022), mudnut (26th July 2022), MudRunnerTD (26th July 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of interest , what size tyres and how much beads per tyre . did you use less beads than normal as the tyres had already been balanced ?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ceramic beads? That's a new one on me.
    Fist full of buck-shot and a cup of anti-freeze was the old standby. Tyre shops never like it much...but I mean, they were dealing with lead wheel weights anyway so... durr?
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip12345 View Post
    Hi all last week the 80 KPH shake grrr
    well had the wheels re balanced. mstill rbbish
    50mm lift all looks as it should under the car .
    adjusted wheel bearings lost the clpi !! fitted spare clip some change but not happy ... So out with the ceramic beads !
    result all gone drives like new car .. so its worth a try ..
    Nice mate. So you were running Balance Beads? What size tyres? I have a huge shake at the moment and running balance beads in my 37s. Thinking of stripping them to remove the beads and see if I can find somewhere that can spin and balance a 37.

How did you remove the beads?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few answers ..
    About 1/4 spray can cap full /Tire
    The tires were balanced three times at Three different places . There was three different results . all crap ! all took money off me .....
    I think the tires 16x9 ? BFG .. not sure of the size .
    Removing the beads Just pull the tire off the rim and clean out .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tip12345 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (30th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to be rude @Tip Mate but this is dangerous Brother. By all means big gnarly bush tyres that cannot be balanced on regular shop spinners and by deliberate gnarly lug design I imagine need beads to get to their short highway destinations under say 70kmph to attack tracks.
    It is NOT the answer for US average Joe’s keeping all forward parts ahead maintenance tight, well greased, correct inflation and balanced etc…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming there is no other mechanical reason then go and get an offset bush put in your front end left side .. got mine done by trutrack in Picton WA .. call them and get the info .. mine is now driving the best it ever has and no weird tyre wear now :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip12345 View Post
    A few answers ..
    About 1/4 spray can cap full /Tire
    The tires were balanced three times at Three different places . There was three different results . all crap ! all took money off me .....
    I think the tires 16x9 ? BFG .. not sure of the size .
    Removing the beads Just pull the tire off the rim and clean out .
    Yeah OK. Sorry, do you were running Beads And trying to balance the tyre on a spin machine concurrently? Surely not? Did the valances know there were beads inside aswell? That would have done their head in for sure. Lol

Ok. I have 37 Treps with Beads on Beadlocks. I might pop the inside bead and see if i can pull the Beads out? Keen to avoid taking the lock rings off as that is a whole other massive task.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I might even pop the inside bead and poke the Vacuum fuse in there and see if i can clean them out?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: Just only 2-3 weeks ago our little windy highway was blocked upwards due to a GU tourer/daily that broke his Draglink end on one of the tightest 90 degree corners.
    Pulled up alongside him coming down to see if he had help thankfully services enroute and it quickly viewed appeared to be extremely overworn link ends that must’ve snapped.
    Shit scared the poor Bloke and his Mrs were as one tire went that way full lock on a gnarly drop off edge.
    Would be keen to know if he’s felt Death Wobbles before and or if he’s masked them with balancing beads or the like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (31st July 2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast