OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Went to the Vic High Country but did we Winch??

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Went to the Vic High Country but did we Winch??

So I headed up into the Vic High Country last weekend for 4 days of Hut chasing, Snow chasing, alcohol and hot fires.

The plan was to take Zach in the GQ and meet up with @Rossco on Thursday night and head into a sneaky hut I know and then catchup with @MB and @AB and hopefully @PeeBee on Friday morning.

Unfortunately heading out Thursday afternoon after getting a fair bit done to the GQ leading up to this trip I found it had an uncontrollable front head shake that was way beyond manageable damn it. I headed home and rotated tyres, tightened the steering box, dropped the drag link and tie rod checking tie rod ends. Further test drive found no improvement so I bailed. Rossco, the Legend offered his Navi seat and back seat for Zach and I to get our Bush Fix.

So we headed early Friday to meet up with the boys at 7:30am Friday to head bush.

Loaded up the cars and headed for Marysville then into them there hills.

To be honest I have my head around where we went but track names are lost in my head, Rossco will be all over that.

At about 12nn we put pies in the travel buddy and at about 1pm hit the bottom of Lost Spur track.... fellas, we will have lunch at the top hey! Yep......

So Rossco sent it up the hill. Got interesting quickly damn it and we got up the First lip and into the first culvert landing and then we were cooked!

Zach and I jumped out to run the winch cable. Rossco also had a 20m length of spare rope as a winch extension strap. Works great.

On the 3rd winch run Rossco broke a CV trying to find some traction. A little bounce ans pop. Now we are 3 wheel drive, 3rd winch in and managing poorly spaced trees to reset the winch. 3 hours later and no less than 12 Full length winch runs later we hit the top of the last pinch. AB and MB bailed early as SB had a dodgy battery ans drove around ans met us at the top.

Massive Hill. It was a great opportunity for me to teach and then supervise Zach setting up complex winch runs with rope adjustments and rigging setups, he did a great job. We were knackered at the top.

At the top we met AB and MB who had found a decent flat camp site, chopped wood and got the fire going for us. Champions!

So we rolled out swags and Rossco went about stripping down the drivers side hub and removed a smashed CV, cleaned things up and installed another CV and Axle ready for Saturday. We cooked, we Drank, we lived and we reminisced about a fun day on a huge winch hill. Oh and how much a 12v Himount Sux Balls!!! Lol

We might have cracked a bottle of Dubliner which we all agreed was sensational. I got smashed around a fire fit for a king.

Saturday we headed for Licola and then up over the top past Arbuckle Junction to a fun track we did a couple of years ago. This track heads up a rugged track over a plateau of Alpine gums and open Plains of the white stuff. AB and MB led the way and we had a great run, a big body of water looked a little average but was way through. AB cautiously headed over and found the top 50mm was solid frozen ice. MB described feeling the car break through the ice over and over again. Was pretty kool.

Doing a little more exploring in the snow I noticed a drag track in the snow and after a while of it not stopping xalled out the AB to stop to check a stick hanging down in case it went through his radiator....... missed it by a minute. Too bloody Late. With coolant passing everywhere we decided to aim for a known carpark area (bush space) to set up for the nice.

With camp set up AB and MB set about stripping out the radiator to inspect. We found an obvious hole. AB had some KneedIt liquidsteel and they mixed some up and had a crack at plugging the hole.

Saturday night we cooked up some steaks and enjoyed some Taquila, JD, Dubliner and Black Bundy for another cracking evening of bush TV, stories and brotherly love. We successfully burnt a months worth of wood ans had a cracking night..

We were Camped up on a Ridge surrounded by Tall Snow Gums, man it was a Wild Night for weather. We were protected from the wind but the heads of all the trees surrounding us were getting Smashed!!! It was crazy! I think we all considered packing up and getting out but we'd all had a little to drink.

We woke to a covering of snow over everything. Packing up camp with a hang over and covered in Snow was Bloody Cold and Wet.

We did a bit of a reccy run for options for Snow for iur Licola trip and found a couple of good options beyond Arbuckle.

Might have found an Igloo which should still be there when we head.

We also found a giant penis....

On the way down towards Licola on on the bitumen section we came around a corner to be confronted by a fully blown HWY Patrol BMW wagon who immediately put his lights on and instructed us to pull over......Faarrk!!!

We were both cars right there, all 4 of us have sunk thinking that's it! We are done! I'm glad my GQ was in the shed at home!!!!!!! Holy shit!!! So the Sargeant gave us a little Attitude to see if we would pass thr Artitude Test and we stayed friendly and compliant. He asked if we were hinting or just camping then asked Rossco to blow in the bag. When he came back good we were directed to have a good day and drive on!!! We dodged a Bullet for sure!! Lucky Lucky.

So the Licola Store was very surprised that we'd seen Vicpol but said there had been issues with Hunters and poor Gun behaviour so suggested they may be on the job looking for poor gun handling and storage. Regardless I think I'd have been in the shit if I was driving the GQ, she's a big girl.

AB and MB headed home from Licola and Rossco, Zach and I headed up the Licola Jamieson Rd to check out the Earthquake damage and head back above the snow line looking for a warm place to stay.

This is Wild!!

We headed up over Mt Selma and made the call to grab thr Mt Selma Hut at about 2:30pm so we could light a fire, get some wood and kick back. A couple of hunters headed past at about 3.30 and reckon they were hoping for rhe Hut but we were already well entrenched. Winners are grinners. We cut enough wood to over fill the wood box and enough to burn all night and still have a full box.

The fire was 4 truck brake drums stacked and welded and fed from the top and holy shit! Once the steel was hot the thing was a beast. I sat there all night in a T Shirt with the door open!!!

I might have cracked a bottle of black Goat!!! Sooo bloody Good. We had some more Jack's and then the Dubliner.....

I magically woke up neatly packed into my swag on the floor... I don't remember that. There are a few hours missing in my time stamp but apparently I had a good time..... zach might have put his dad to bed....

We woke to another great coating of snow but we were dry and warm is a great Hut.

What a Bloody Great Weekend with these Guys. Wouldn't be dead for quids

#thisisreallyliving

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (20th July 2022), BrazilianY60 (27th July 2022), Cremulator (20th July 2022), Figjam (22nd July 2022), Hodge (21st July 2022), jack (20th July 2022), jay see (22nd July 2022), jff45 (21st July 2022), MB (20th July 2022), mudnut (20th July 2022), mudski (21st July 2022), NissanGQ4.2 (24th July 2022), pearcey (21st July 2022), PeeBee (20th July 2022), Plasnart (21st July 2022), Rossco (21st July 2022), rusty_nail (20th July 2022), Stropp (25th July 2022), taslucas (22nd July 2022), Touses (21st July 2022), TPC (25th July 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done guys. Very jealous

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Hodge (21st July 2022), MB (20th July 2022), MudRunnerTD (21st July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful Dazman/Zachstar Son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

AB (21st July 2022), Cremulator (21st July 2022), jay see (22nd July 2022), jff45 (21st July 2022), MudRunnerTD (21st July 2022), Rossco (21st July 2022), Stropp (25th July 2022), taslucas (22nd July 2022), TPC (25th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Well done guys. Very jealous

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Blood sweat and tears honestly Nicco Brother, we’re covered in antifreeze, putty and gear oil grease from abused twin locked GQ’s 🫤

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (21st July 2022), MudRunnerTD (21st July 2022), Rossco (21st July 2022), rusty_nail (21st July 2022), Stropp (25th July 2022)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bloody awesome. Thanks for sharing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (21st July 2022), MudRunnerTD (21st July 2022)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got all that drunkin merriment out of the way before I hit Licola with some of you blokes.

Looks like you had a great time.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

MB (21st July 2022), MudRunnerTD (21st July 2022), Rossco (21st July 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love seeing these trip reports Dazza and Co. You cannot buy this sort of mateship, dad/son moments , experience... Mechanical setbacks, the show must go on... Love it! Go the GQs !!
    2005 TD42TI

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (21st July 2022), MudRunnerTD (22nd July 2022), Rossco (21st July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah what a great weekend and bloody good write up love it. .

First track what a doozey, thought we'd try a new one, went down to the Aberfeldy, not too bad then strait into it on the other side. . .

Thought we'd be in for a 100m winch or thereabouts but just kept going and going and going and ahhh. . . Dammit * Reckon was about 650 meter winch certainly biggest straight winch I've ever done and yep 12v got it done but was wishing got 24v going. . Was a blast tho and was a good sight to see great little camp at the top fire going and all. . .

CV went in mostly trouble free. .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

17. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Bidja (21st July 2022), Cremulator (21st July 2022), jay see (22nd July 2022), MB (21st July 2022), mudnut (21st July 2022), MudRunnerTD (22nd July 2022), pearcey (22nd July 2022), Plasnart (21st July 2022), Stropp (25th July 2022), taslucas (22nd July 2022), TPC (25th July 2022), Winnie (21st July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camped just below snow line then up through Fiddlers Green and up to Mt Selma. .

Beautiful day up the top of Arbuckle nearly need the old sunscreen. .

Did sneaky track on the Plateau through virgin snow then noticed compressor gave up the ghost. . Bloody lucky it held on would have been pretty bad on big winch hill especially without air freespool too. .

Thought about camping in the Plateau but wise and sensible as always MB had an incling that the weather was on the turn. . Lucky we didn't as would have been blown off the mountain. . Camped up near Nelson Crag, short walk to a wicked spot that looks across Valley and Moroka River to the Howitt High Plains, wind was insane. . .

Photos seriously don't do this justice pretty cool watching the sunset struggling to stand up. .

Wild night with the snow gums bending waaay more than you'd think the laws of physics would allow but a good dose of alcohol plus us constantly saying they're used to it put our minds at ease. . .

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Bidja (21st July 2022), Cremulator (21st July 2022), Hodge (21st July 2022), jay see (22nd July 2022), MB (21st July 2022), mudnut (21st July 2022), MudRunnerTD (22nd July 2022), pearcey (22nd July 2022), Plasnart (21st July 2022), taslucas (22nd July 2022), TPC (25th July 2022), Winnie (21st July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woke up to a dusting of snow. . Cold and wet was a slow packup . .

Back out and radiator fix check on the way. . .

Two GQs and a giant cock & balls. . .

Back to Licola after a pleasant experience with the Highway Patrol which kinda wasn't expected but happy days. .

Pulled up stumps at hut near Mt Selma. . Stayed there before in summer but was very welcome in the wind and rain. . Fire was an absolute beast so warm and cosy. .

We were all pretty knackered from previous night and looking forward to an early night but not sure what happened but didn't eventuate damitt. . .

Not sure what happened but time for bed now. . .

Woke up to a lovely dusting of snow. .

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (27th July 2022), Cremulator (21st July 2022), jay see (22nd July 2022), MB (21st July 2022), MudRunnerTD (22nd July 2022), mudski (22nd July 2022), pearcey (22nd July 2022), Plasnart (21st July 2022), Stropp (25th July 2022), taslucas (22nd July 2022), TPC (25th July 2022)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast