OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New piston rings a job that can be done in the car ???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New piston rings a job that can be done in the car ???

Hi Folks after a multitude of small and big jobs on the most beautiful GQ Safari 'The Yellow Submarine' - I am now considering to 'do' the piston rings.

WHY?
    The compression is not as good anymore - I replaced the head for a brand new new one (The rebuild I wrote about a while ago did not work). That improved the torque of the engine only a little but saved a lot of coolant and oil and no more milk in the sump ;-)

Engine:
    TB42S (New Holley 330 Carbie) - New Cylinder head - etc. // 400.000 km . Exchanged Cylinder head before I owned it.
    Runs smooth.
    Compression values between 100 and 130 ps ... not very good ... - engine has done 400,000 km , most likely never had the bottom end rebuilt but not sure. It had definitely a head exchange earlier in life though.

A next logic step would be new piston rings ?
    When I did the head the cylinder walls looked very clean and smooth. As smooth as an old cylinder can be , no scary ridges at all.
    So my guess is that honing and new piston rings will be a big improvement ?

AND:
    Should I do the camshaft at the same time ?

BUT:
    I have never done it - and quite honestly my age related artritis is slowing me down a lot.
    Is it a real hard job for a part time but very skilled mechanic like me (Remember my Bl...y artritis that harassed me so much during the initial failed head rebuild and then head replacement - it took me forever but works fine now)

Or is there a skilled very meticulous one amongst you near Coonabarabran willing to do that job for me in exchange for a fair payment ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

MB (1st July 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day Jacob Mate
    Coincidentally I just returned from an unfortunately shortened SA/Vic Desert Adventure with our youngest Daughter in our TD42 diesel ute for school holidays due to my Piston Rings believed too?

https://youtu.be/ZxJH8xannLg

Is your filler cap doing the same Brother?

Was once verbally told we could drop our own sumps with engine still in, easily hone and refit oversized rings to suit off of our shed floor crawlers somewhat in comfort. I’ve had Ulna impaction surgery L/R too

I’m hoping so too as cannot afford a shop rebuild yet either and hoping to get away again to some snow Littlens Fun in a few weeks

Help PLEASE Gurus out HERE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it, in theory, CAN be done without removing the engine from vehicle, that will make it infinitely harder, especially with mobility issues. If you were local I'd volunteer my neighbour's garage...but it's a bit of a swim for ya!

Low compression may not be rings, but 30psi difference between cylinders is cause for concern... What thickness head gasket? Did the block/head get decked/skimmed at all? A leak-down test will tell you more. Did the head bolts get done up in order?

The cross-hatching is only to wear the rings into the bore...smooth bores are fine. If that's what you're thinking.

Since the camshaft comes out the top...your call whether you replace it, unlikely it really needs it and more likely worn items are valves/ valve guides/ springs, maybe cam journal bearing shells.

If you're taking the engine out though, it would pay to flip it and do main (crank shaft) bearings, That'd give you peace of mind for the next 400 km
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd July 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put new rings and bearings in my TB42e while on jackstands. Its awkward but not hard to do and I'm over 70. Anything can be achieved if you want to do it.
    Pete

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete49 For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd July 2022), mihit (3rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MB sent u PM mate
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pete - I agree , I look at jobs now as if I am an ant: moving one grain of sand at the time and still create a castle ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete49 View Post
    I put new rings and bearings in my TB42e while on jackstands. Its awkward but not hard to do and I'm over 70. Anything can be achieved if you want to do it.
    Pete

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihit View Post
    While it, in theory, CAN be done without removing the engine from vehicle, that will make it infinitely harder, especially with mobility issues. If you were local I'd volunteer my neighbour's garage...but it's a bit of a swim for ya!

Low compression may not be rings, but 30psi difference between cylinders is cause for concern... What thickness head gasket? Did the block/head get decked/skimmed at all? A leak-down test will tell you more. Did the head bolts get done up in order?

The cross-hatching is only to wear the rings into the bore...smooth bores are fine. If that's what you're thinking.

Since the camshaft comes out the top...your call whether you replace it, unlikely it really needs it and more likely worn items are valves/ valve guides/ springs, maybe cam journal bearing shells.

If you're taking the engine out though, it would pay to flip it and do main (crank shaft) bearings, That'd give you peace of mind for the next 400 km
    Thanks - new valves in the new head should all be OK , so look at bottom of engine now.
    Cheers:
    j.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that - no mine is not smoking - it was before I did the head (Steaming) - since the valves and head are nw (les than 200 km ) I think it must be the rings.
    Best of luck with yuor job.
    J.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but did not get it
    J.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Helpful advice appreciated us both no doubt from all corners of our Southern Hemisphere, Legends
    Does Anyone kindly know of a TB-TD 42 step by step unbolt/pull down manual whether it be in vehicle or out?
    Scared I’ll personally undo crank bolts incorrectly and warp something like I’ve done head bolts incorrectly removed in a rush before many moons ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast