Thread: Rear brake shoes - leaf sprung cab chassis GU

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear brake shoes - leaf sprung cab chassis GU

The squealing came back in the re passenger side brakes. For now I have backed off the shoes a bit. Car won't be getting a lot of use whilst we are up here in the Iron Range. Shoe lining is pretty thin. Reckon they are the original shoes - so now have around 235,000kms on them. Don't think my back wants be to be replacing them, so will likely wait until we get back down to Mareeba where I'll pay someone to fit them.

Thinking I'll order some online rather than just accept whatever the Mareeba mechanic can get at the time - any rear drum brake owners out there have brake shoe brands to say good things about? RDA, DBA, Bendix & a few others I hadn't heard of, plus heaps on ebay with no brand name. Cheapest I've seen were Repco's own brand at $11 per pair!

What say you?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 473 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cuppa.
    With such kms on the clock, I would check for the drum width for wear. After some manufacturer specified width limit, the drums themselves should be replaced as well.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (22nd June 2022)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`Day Cuppa.
    Just one other thing, please replace the wheel cylinders, guaranteed to leak if you don`t.
    All or most shoes are bonded over seas so most will be the same only the price will differ.
    If you get the drums machined you can or should get oversize shoes radius-ed to suit the drum size.
    Hope this is of some help

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (22nd June 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    G`Day Cuppa.
    Just one other thing, please replace the wheel cylinders, guaranteed to leak if you don`t.
    All or most shoes are bonded over seas so most will be the same only the price will differ.
    If you get the drums machined you can or should get oversize shoes radius-ed to suit the drum size.
    Hope this is of some help
    Ta. Where do you get oversized shoes from? Are these generally something that the folk doing the machining can obtain?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oversized shoes these days come in pretty much two sizes, plus thirty thou or plus sixty thou any good brake shop should stock them or be able to radius the shoes to suit the drum diameter. Fitting standard shoes to oversize drums is OK its just you wont get as good as pedal height untill the shoes bed in. How ever do not fit oversize shoes to standard drums as you will end up with locking and dragging and unstable braking.

As for price I would expect to pay around sixty dollars for a set of four , possibly as high as one hundred.Good wheel cylinders may be up around sixty each, but I`m only guessing. been a while out off the trade

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (23rd June 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question about the rear drum brakes on my car.

It's looking more likely that I'll have to do the job of replacing the shoes & wheel cylinders myself. I have at least been told I can use someone's workshop with a trolley jack which will make things a bit easier.

Before making a start I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get a replacement spring kit in case the original springs are stuffed, or worse still I break one when dismantling.

Trouble is I can't seem to find any online. Found them for Toyotas, but the seller tells me they cant get Nissan ones.

Can anyone point me to somewhere I can get replacement spring kits, or perhaps even source them locally & post them to me?

Thanks.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cuppa, try Patrolapart they should be able to help hopefully and can post. .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (29th June 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Hey Cuppa, try Patrolapart they should be able to help hopefully and can post. .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
    Thanks Rossco, I looked, & they only have one of the springs listed.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)