Thread: TB42 Ballast wiring

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB42 Ballast wiring

Hey everyone, i have a Maverick TB42 SWB Carb model. I have purchased the pertronix module to convert from points. The hall effect type with the magnet. Just in regard to the wiring up side of things, i believe i need to go negative from the pertronix to neg on my coil, and positive from the pertronix to the white wire on my ballast resistor- however, on my vehicle there is only 2 bridged red wires on one side of the ballast, and nothing on the other side. There is a white/black stripe wire coming from somewhere (haven't traced back yet) that goes onto the positive of my coil. Wondering where i should put the positive lead from the pertronix to? The coil is a GT40 equivalent
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have read that the coils with an R in their part number run on approximately 9volts and require ballast resistor. Those without an a R designation need 12volts to operate.(hopefully this can be confirmed by someone in the know). It looks as if the previous owner has deleted the resistor for the GT40 equivalent. You need to establish from the supplier whether this coil is compatible with the petronix system or whether you need to run one that uses the resistor, which might reduce the current.
    Last edited by mudnut; 20th June 2022 at 04:15 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its confirmed the ballast has been bypassed, so i think i will order the flamethrower coil from pertronix, just not sure what to do with red wires on the ballast, and the white/black/green wire going to + on my current coil

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day JLHMAV Mate
    Photos below of our little TB45 dropped into a TB42 SWB Maverick with Petronix Ignitor both installed by previous owner.
    Runs somewhat Ok 95% of the time off tow in colder climates shorter runs but completely spazzes out like old school cooked points somehow if towing and off tow also only in warmer/hotter climate’s over distance and gets worse with highway time we’ve unfortunately found recently

I am a complete electrical nuffy but it appears in regards your query that Petronix (-) to GT40R type (-) connection and (+) Petronix to Ballast resistor is what has been done on ours.
    Could possibly be that ours is completely wrong linked backed to TD42 OEM wires and causing the issues we experience, keen to learn too please Brothers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the wiring diagram for 1988 models Haynes page 12-14. It shows that the red wires give the original coil a 12volt feed to start. If it was my vehicle, I would just leave them, just in case you want return it to stock or you find that one day all you can get is an R designated coil to get home with.
    Last edited by mudnut; 20th June 2022 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G’day JLHMAV Mate
    Photos below of our little TB45 dropped into a TB42 SWB Maverick with Petronix Ignitor both installed by previous owner.
    Runs somewhat Ok 95% of the time off tow in colder climates shorter runs but completely spazzes out like old school cooked points somehow if towing and off tow also only in warmer/hotter climate’s over distance and gets worse with highway time we’ve unfortunately found recently

I am a complete electrical nuffy but it appears in regards your query that Petronix (-) to GT40R type (-) connection and (+) Petronix to Ballast resistor is what has been done on ours.
    Could possibly be that ours is completely wrong linked backed to TD42 OEM wires and causing the issues we experience, keen to learn too please Brothers

If it is a GT40R then it does need the resistor. But is that compatible with the Pertronix? Maybe it needs a 12volt coil to function properly. Call Patrolapart and ask.
    Last edited by mudnut; 20th June 2022 at 08:34 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (20th June 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have done Brother, we’re ALL stumped

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB42 Ballast wiring

Problem is with ours, it’s a TB42 dizzy with a TB45 cog custom installed below, problemo being can’t find a dizzy guru willing to touch it for a rebuild

Last edited by MB; 20th June 2022 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking a Humble Nuffy Step Back with Eyeballs now finally open Legends
    Are you kindly suggesting that a non resistor GT40 type coil might solve my spazzing problems under duress pretty please I truly hope
    We only replaced elecy bit by bit where we could shop find over some 1,500km return confused/exhausted work trip as to why extreme peddle loss

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Taking a Humble Nuffy Step Back with Eyeballs now finally open Legends
    Are you kindly suggesting that a non resistor GT40 type coil might solve my spazzing problems under duress pretty please I truly hope
    We only replaced elecy bit by bit where we could shop find over some 1,500km return confused/exhausted work trip as to why extreme peddle loss

Dunno. Just conjecture at this point. According to Pertronix their system is either good or bad. No in between.

http://www.pertronix.com.au/troubleshooting.html

One section on the Pertronix page points out that low voltage to their unit can cause it to shut down and start up quickly causing misfires and loss of power.
    Last edited by mudnut; 20th June 2022 at 11:25 PM. Reason: ,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (20th June 2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast