OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Safely, Be Prepared, Carry a PLB or better.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Travel Safely, Be Prepared, Carry a PLB or better.

Here is a post I found in a Vic High Country Group on Facebook and had to share it here. A great reminder from the guys in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by James Deen View Post
    Hello everyone. Thanks for allowing me to join your group.

Having had a gentle peruse through recent posts I can see a large number of people are wanting to take in the high country to enjoy the winterscape this season.
    I’m an avid 4x4er and camping enthusiast in my time away from work. My work has me as one of the states (Victoria) airborne search and rescue assets. We’ve had quite a few calls/rescues in the last couple of weeks with people being unprepared and subsequently getting vehicles stuck. Not only the unprepared, but the prepared (if you can call them that) are also getting themselves into trouble.

Reason for my post is to highlight the importance of taking suitable comms with you up there. When I say suitable, I’m referring to satellite comms.
    At a bare minimum please buy/take a PLB. Mobile phone coverage is not always available and with a stuck vehicle, people are walking hours in unfavorable weather conditions to find reception. This is where a seemingly basic situation becomes life threatening.
    The best sat comm I can recommend are the ‘Communicators’ like the Garmin inReach. You may not require emergency services because you’re stuck and can message people/loved ones to seek help.

With a PLB we can fly to within a handful of meters of your location, without one, we can spend days looking for you and in so many cases, never find you.

We spend thousands on 4x4 modifications, for just a few hundred dollars you can ensure you’re fully prepared. If your heading up to the high country this winter, fully prepared means having a PLB at a minimum, a Communicator as ideal or a Sat phone in the perfect world.

I don’t wish to offend or scare (too much) anyone but I see first hand how family’s lives are ripped apart because a loved one perished in the bush when a couple hundred $$$’s would have seen them reunited with their family.

Enjoy the the beauty of a white high country everyone. It truly is a beautiful place.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 8th June 2022 at 08:44 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

04OFF (9th June 2022), Bidja (9th June 2022), Cremulator (8th June 2022), DX grunt (10th June 2022), MB (11th June 2022), Rossco (9th June 2022), TPC (13th June 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PLB has a permanent spot in the Patrol door pocket, and on me if we go for a walk. Cheap insurance and they last a minimum of seven years.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Rossco (9th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 473 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a PLB?
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    What is a PLB?
    A Personal Locating Beacon.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (9th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah have the Garmin Inreach for work good little things handy for text messages if needed. . EPIRB lives in GQ now after 12 /24 hour meetup time miscommunication and crazy storm at night cossising butcher link. . .

Yeah couple of years ago went up behind Marysville after big dump, heap of cars no winches, slid into ditch and the no getting out. . But even when your prepared shit can still happen. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th June 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Yeah have the Garmin Inreach for work good little things handy for text messages if needed. . EPIRB lives in GQ now after 12 /24 hour meetup time miscommunication and crazy storm at night cossising butcher link. . .

Yeah couple of years ago went up behind Marysville after big dump, heap of cars no winches, slid into ditch and the no getting out. . But even when your prepared shit can still happen. . .

Hahaha. I read that twice and then checked to see if it was MB...

Yeah my PLB won't let me message but it will let me push thr Red Button. I hope I never use it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (9th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm happy with just the red button, for me that's all ever really need ( if / when that time comes lol. . )

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th June 2022)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, bought my first one in 1997 for the 7 week Kimberley trip. It expired and have a second one, which is currently with my daughter who is backpacking thru Iceland of all places, camping as well. It will work there, just hope it isn't needed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th June 2022), Rossco (10th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, keep it very simple for our Littlens, EPIRB’s are only for Life & Death
    Worth teaching our Families/Crews when and what requires a Full Emergency PING and or just simply a Recovery from Mates in a Few Days Safe Time, SAT PHONE $30 a month backup for our extra curricular activities is cheap

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (12th June 2022), PeeBee (10th June 2022), Rossco (11th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: I Farkn H8 Carnts whom ring 000 for a cough and Delay Legends Life Saving Arrivals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (10th June 2022), Hodge (10th June 2022), MudRunnerTD (12th June 2022), PeeBee (10th June 2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast