Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile VK56 starter motor changeout

Starter motor changeout

wasn't going to bother posting about it as it's fairly straight forward, but the concept of a starter motor in the valley can be daunting so here's what did

Parts
    Starter motor $395 from patrolapart
    Manifold O-rings $22 each (8 need �� Also patrolapart)
    Some tape to cover intake ports

intake manifold removal

- engine cover off - 4 bolts
    -undo half a dozen hose clamps and remove hoses few electrical plugs here n there attached to intake manifold and piping
    -undo intake pipe clamp and unclip from airbox then remove
    - undo 10 bolts holding intake manifold to block
    - undo sensor plug from back of intake manifold, also undo bolt securing pipes to back passenger side
    - gently remove manifold , it's only plastic so fairly light to remove

Starter itself

-remove battery terminal from battery to prevent any shorting from removing starter lead
    -remove starter lead from starter motor
    -undo clip for solenoid actuator wire, (tucked up passenger side rear) then disconnect plug
    - undo small busbar to starter and rotate to allow access to Passenger side starter motor bolt
    - undo both starter motor bolts
    - remove starter

then repeat in reverse order to install new one..

Points to note and tips

Manifold bolts were hard to get my fingers too, use a magnet on the side of a socket to help retrieve them if you've got big goofy hands like me
    The starter bolts were tight!, in a prick of a spot, and close to the casting so I couldn't fit my ratchet ring spanners around them. I ended up using a standard ring spanner that gave me a slight angle towards me, and threw a pipe on the spanner to get them to break, came out fairly free after that

New orings, I dabbed a touch of grease into the oring seats, just to keep them located when putting the manifold back in

Make sure you get all the manifold bolts in first before starting to tighten in. Basic mechanics I guess, but the back bolts are a bit of a prick to get too, use the others to line up the holes, then do the back ones as they should be fairly well located by then

Double check ALL hoses and plugs.. I went over it and still missed on that went onto the back of the intake pipe.. luckily spotted it before putting the cover back on

Siiiimples... ��

Yup... still drew blood on my hands... lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MadDan78; 24th May 2022 at 10:23 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MadDan78 For This Useful Post:

Avo (25th May 2022), MB (26th May 2022), mudnut (24th May 2022), MudRunnerTD (24th May 2022), mudski (25th May 2022), pollenface (26th May 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Legend mate, Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for coming over from bloody Facebook. Cheers
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.