OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Lithium Battery - which one and how do you choose?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium Battery - which one and how do you choose?

OK, I have 3 x 130ah AGM/Cranker hybrid style batteries and they weigh about 28kg each. Their performance has been ok I guess for running the fridge and other low voltage and 240V inverter loads. They worked well with the warn 15000lb rear mount winch.

I am looking at the vast range of Lithium batteries out there and confused about a number of things. Lets keep it simple, say 100ah battery.

Prices vary from $300 to discounted $800 and charge rated and discharge rates vary accordingly. Its hard to equate performance when the key deliverables claimed by each supplier is twice the depth of discharge capacity, faster recharge and all having a BMS of some description and weigh about the same. In previous years with Lead Acid and AGM it was about the weight and storage capacity, yet now I don't have the knowledge to choose on performance alone. My application is 12V fridge drawdown and running a 240V 3000w inverter for the coffee machine and a few LED lights. I have hydraulic winches so no high current draws. I run a marine Optima for the crank.

So for those in the know, is it worth my while buying a $800 Itech or similar that can supply 200amps for a constant drain or go for a cheaper unit that has a max draw of say 50amp? The obvious issue is that the inverter needs to supply 100amps for the coffee machine at 12V, so the ultra cheap at $300 wont work, but there are others that will handle 100amp continuous at circa $500.

The issue isn't the cost so much as 'gold plating' the solution and if I didn't have the coffee machine then the ultra cheapie at $300 would seem to fit the bill. My AGM setup was great from the perspective they could supply 1000amps peak for 10 mins, which worked with the big rear mounted electric. I dont need that type of redundancy. I run a renogy 80amp dcdc charger and would prefer not to have to replace it - believe it is Lithium compatible. I run a 300amp alternator alsoso plenty of grunt avail for the winch, but 80amps is the limit of its charge capacity unless I run a bridge setup to punch 300amps into the lithium, which is no doubt the wrong thing to do!

Look forward to your considered input, thanks. I am not prepared to get 'wed' to a brand unless it meets my demand load.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (24th May 2022), MB (23rd May 2022), Rossco (23rd May 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freeze dried Macconna and or Nescafe Blend 69er with gas hot water Philstar
    Just taking the lightweight piss Old Mate
    Dazman with induction 3 phase Y62 cooktops and or Rossco should know Lithium’s tips & tricks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (23rd May 2022), Rossco (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yes can vouch for some good quality Moccona in a jar with jet boil and or trusty camp fire for heating purposes. . .

Just kidding, far from a 12V guru but I went with a Itech world 120 which I think is around 107AH claimed. So far been really happy with it obviously well outperforms lead acid or AGM & is light as buggery. . One of the main things that swayed me towards the itech was temperature thresholds which seemed better compared to others. Not sure about charging weather an 80 amp unit will be too much and affect battery life but sure others much more in the know will chime in. . .

Sure you'll be happy with a lithium setup, certainly are so far never really have to worry too much about battery although might invest in a blanket down the track for longer trips/stays. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd May 2022)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, the 80amp unit is the max choke I suppose however I am wondering if the BMS actually provides a further reduction to protect the battery? The battery may not need the 80 amps but then again, looking at the various spec sheets a lot of the more costly variants can easily take 100amp charge rates which is great for recovery and also helps the battery keep up with the draw from the coffee machine, I run the engine when using the coffee machine, helps depth of discharge issue

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    ………
    Sure you'll be happy with a lithium setup, certainly are so far never really have to worry too much about battery although might invest in a blanket down the track for longer trips/stays. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
    Elecy 240v “blankets” under ones sleeping bag via a baby 12v inverter I did copy from here some years ago for -0C snow trips does work a treat, save your Espresso batteries for Galliano Snow Shots

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (24th May 2022), Winnie (24th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Elecy 240v “blankets” under ones sleeping bag via a baby 12v inverter I did copy from here some years ago for -0C snow trips does work a treat, save your Espresso batteries for Galliano Snow Shots

Aldi had 12v electric blankets a couple of weeks ago. I bought Naomi one for Mothers day.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (26th May 2022), Rossco (24th May 2022)