Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transmission pump rate question

Hi everyone,

I had a look at my transmission oil the other day and it has clearly never been replaced. It changes smoothly but I'd still like it to at least be red in colour.
    I'd like to get as much out as possible so I thought of emptying through the drain and then replace through the pan input hole.
    So my thinking is, if I turn on the engine for a very specific time then the clean fluid in the pan would be sucked up and replaced by dirty, which I could then drain/replace. If I get the timing roughly right then I should be able to replace the lot. Is thinking sound or is it not such a neatly controlled closed loop with a pump that runs at a fixed rate. Will this work? Does anyone know the pump rate?

Cheers,

Rob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best not to change the fluid without changing the filter too. Also been warned off doing flushes as it has proved to allow contaminants to move through the transmission and cause potential problems.

Had our Falcon transmission serviced by a mechanic. He dropped and cleaned the oil pan, replaced the filter and seal. He then topped the unit up with approximately the same amount of fluid that was lost. The unit has run with no hiccups for years now.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers or your help Mudnut. Id like to change the filter but i thought it was integrated into some other part and couldn't be bought separately. Im not really planning on flushing though, more like lots of consecutive changes to hopefully swap out at least half of the crappy coloured fluid.