Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failed RE4 after upgrades.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The results are in!
    4th Gear was destroyed due to a lack of lubrication. They tell me that one of the FMIC pipes was pushing against the trans cooler hose and squashed it to the point it was severely restricting flow. Lucky for me that they also fitted the Fabwitz front mount intercooler and pipework.
    Its good to see a shop that stand's by its work ethic and accepted full responsibility for the repairs. They said they'll do their best to get it done by the end of the week. Thats good enough for me, and I'm a happy camper again.

So best to keep this in mind for those mounting their own FMIC. Make sure none of the trans lines are getting squashed! It's an unusual one and not something they've had to deal with before. Hopefully this will be the end of my troubles with the auto.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (21st April 2022), jff45 (20th April 2022), mudnut (19th April 2022), Plasnart (20th April 2022), Rossco (24th April 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good result! That also explains why your trans temps weren't moving, no flow through the cooler. The return from the trans cooler lubricates the rear.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    Good result! That also explains why your trans temps weren't moving, no flow through the cooler. The return from the trans cooler lubricates the rear.
    I had suspected there was no flow, but couldn’t work out why. I was thinking a stuffed pump, or low fluid or something. I’ll ask them in more detail when I pick it up, but was told on the phone it was the FMIC pipework to the turbo. It was the first time they have fitted the Fabwitz FMIC, and told me at the time it was a painful exercise. Mistakes happen, but I’m glad it happened now and wasn’t my doing. It would have been a nightmare to deal with in the middle of the Simmo where I’m heading next month.

I have my trans temp gauge in the inlet to the cooler, but am now thinking in the pan would have given me a true reading and may have alerted me to the problem sooner. Something to think about for those installing trans temp gauges.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post

I have my trans temp gauge in the inlet to the cooler, but am now thinking in the pan would have given me a true reading and may have alerted me to the problem sooner. Something to think about for those installing trans temp gauges.
    I’ve found the most practical spot to fit the sensor is in the outlet banjo bolt where the TC pumps the fluid to the cooler. The inlet to the cooler will have pretty much the same temp but the banjo is an easy fit.
    I prefer to read the temp where it’s hottest so I can lock the TC when towing to bring it back down.

60E424E9-4E34-4A35-8BE4-5F79152757F0.jpeg
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve found the most practical spot to fit the sensor is in the outlet banjo bolt where the TC pumps the fluid to the cooler. The inlet to the cooler will have pretty much the same temp but the banjo is an easy fit.
    I prefer to read the temp where it’s hottest so I can lock the TC when towing to bring it back down.
    I had no hope of fitting the Redarc 1”4 inch sensor in there. I also have a Redarc 1/8” sensor but the probes are just too long in that location. I think with no fluid flowing they’d suffer the same fate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it needs the VDO short sensor
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She’s all up and running again
    They ended replacing the transmission with a refurbished unit, also a new torque converter and factory cooler. It was apparently all in a hell of state due to heat and bits of gears through it.

Now the fluid is circulating correctly, I can see the trans temps are higher than I’d like. It easily hit 100-110°C around town. Given my short time frame before I head off on a remote trip, I’m going to throw a cheap cooler and fan from Repco in tomorrow. Should help at least having a fan. I’ll source a better cooler on my return if required.

She all seemed to perform well on a 200 km run I gave it today, so hopefully I’ll have no further issues.
    Last edited by stevemc181; 23rd April 2022 at 09:21 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

jff45 (23rd April 2022), MB (26th April 2022), mudnut (23rd April 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that you’re reading the fluid temp pre cooler. It’s almost certainly under 100C by the time it gets back to the trans.
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that you’re reading the fluid temp pre cooler. It’s almost certainly under 100C by the time it gets back to the trans.
    I threw another cooler in series with the factory cooler. Dropped the temps a bit, hottest she got was 105° after a long uphill section heading out of Perth, and seems to sit around 80-90° on the highway. The fan doesn’t seem to do much, so not sure how she’ll go in the soft slow dune country.

I’ve got another sensor coming that I’ll throw on one of the pan bolts as well. What’s the usual pan temps on these?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideal operating temp is generally considered to be around 80C but with low stall TCs and/or TC lockup, the temp being pumped out by the TC is often lower.
    Mine can get down to 65-70 pre cooler on the highway.

I’ve thought about getting the fluid direction controlled by thermostat so it only goes through the cooler over 80C but I haven’t got around to it.
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast