Thread: Failed RE4 after upgrades.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Failed RE4 after upgrades.

Not a happy Easter camper!

Was heading up to Kalbarri for the weekend as a shakedown trip after spending a ton of money on upgrades including HD Flex Plate Low stall torque converter, stage 2 valve body along with ZL30 Turbo/Tune intake mods etc.

Only made it about 175km out of Perth and I was just cruising along at 110kph, when I heard a thud from the trans, she dropped itself out of overdrive and was making strange noises.

I had noticed the trans temp gauge hadn’t moved from 60° but put it down to being a cool 15° morning and an easy hwy run. However the trans felt a lot hotter than 60° when I felt it from underneath! The fluid on the trans dipstick was hard to see and appeared to be clear. But with some time to think now, perhaps it was just residue on the dip stick. I couldn’t see any obvious leaks anywhere.

No reverse gear at all, and not game to keep trying to drive it forward. Tow trucked it back to the mechanics workshop 😞
    I’ve done less than 500km since the trans was done, and she was driving beautifully before this happened.

I am supposed to be heading off on a 5 week remote trip on 7th May, and this was a shakedown trip to make sure everything was good. Glad I’m not in the middle of the desert at least!

97BE84B7-1A44-4806-949D-8DBB85734AA2.jpeg
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (17th April 2022), MB (16th April 2022), mudnut (16th April 2022), Stropp (19th April 2022), Touses (18th April 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bugger. Hope it gets sorted pretty quick.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (16th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were running with TC locked that would account for the low trans temps if the temp sensor is located at the cooler outlet banjo.

Be interested to know what happened. The RE4 transmissions have very few issues.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (17th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for you.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (17th April 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    If you were running with TC locked that would account for the low trans temps if the temp sensor is located at the cooler outlet banjo.

Be interested to know what happened. The RE4 transmissions have very few issues.
    The temp sensor is pre-cooler, but it was a pretty easy run, just cruising and not many hills between my place and where it failed. It’s only done around 500 very easy kms since the upgrades. I’m thinking it’s going to be a shitfight, but hoping the workshop does the right thing in investigating what failed and rectifying it ASAP. I also have a wholesale autos lockup switch installed, I’d used it maybe 15 or 20 minutes prior to make sure it worked, only had it engaged for about a minute as it wasn’t really required. The TC was having no trouble staying locked without it.

They already mentioned on the phone when I called them on the side of the highway, about the extra torque I’m running, which sounded to me like looking for excuses already. The extra torque was the whole reason for the trans upgrades and I know how I’ve driven it, should be nothing failing with the easy km’s its done.

I was running it on tune 1 the whole way from home, which was max 538nm on a hub dyno. Tune 2 was 634nm at the hubs. I could understand something breaking if I was flogging it up a dune or driving like a racer boy, but it was just easy cruising with the traffic flow.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a warmed 150kw TD42T in front of my RE4 with stock TB45E J6 TC and Nomad valve body. I tow 2.7t caravan no problem.
    I rebuilt a spare RE4 years ago with extra clutches but it’s still sitting on the shelf waiting for the current one to give up.

If I had to guess I’d say something wasn’t put back together properly but it’s likely to not be anyone’s fault as usual..
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a warmed 150kw TD42T in front of my RE4 with stock TB45E J6 TC and Nomad valve body. I tow 2.7t caravan no problem.
    I rebuilt a spare RE4 years ago with extra clutches but it’s still sitting on the shelf waiting for the current one to give up.

If I had to guess I’d say something wasn’t put back together properly but it’s likely to not be anyone’s fault as usual..
    Everything I’ve researched prior to doing the turbo/intake etc mods, indicated it should be no problems with a JD trans stage 2 valve body, destalled converter from Allfast in WA and a HD Flexplate. The trans hadn’t been put under any sort of hard driving in the short time since it was done.

When it went, the missus and I both heard a distinct thud from the transmission and I can only assume somethings let go internally. It immediately dropped out of overdrive and I pulled up within 1k or 2 in a safe spot off the highway. The wait to find out what’s gone wrong is driving me nuts! I looked at my trip log of the day it went and my average speed was 100.9km with a max speed of 122kph briefly when I overtook a road train. When it let go it was only on light throttle maintaining cruising speed at 110kph. We were loaded up, but not towing anything.

My concern now is finding out the damage and how quickly we can get it repaired. I’m at the mercy now of the workshop and just hope they are honest in their findings if it’s due to incorrect assembly or faulty parts etc.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

jff45 (18th April 2022), Stropp (19th April 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, was the TC manually locked during shifts?
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, was the TC manually locked during shifts?
    Never engaged while shifting gears, I’d only used the lockup switch once to see if it was working after the mods had been done. Had it engaged for about a minute or so around 15 or 20 minutes prior. I’ve rarely used the manual lockup since it was fitted years ago, as I find the trans automatic lockup did the job ok anyway.
    Only find it useful to stop running away on long downhill runs. Maybe if I towed, I’d have used it more often.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

jff45 (18th April 2022), Stropp (19th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer mate that’s not good news, let us know how they deal with this.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast