Thread: New alternator sense wire draw td42

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New alternator sense wire draw td42

So I have an 89 patrol with a TD42. I was having trouble with a low charge voltage from my alternator and the bearing was also on the way out so I decided to get a new 100amp one. I ordered one from patrolapart and Baxters A-1401H. First one arrived obviously damaged and would draw 0.24amps through the voltage sense wire. Sent it back and was accepted for return and replacement (didnt get a reason for that yet if it was the outside damage or internal). Just installed the new unit(no damage that I can see so pretty sure it a different one) and it still has the same p draw through the sense wire. I find it hard to believe that I got 2 duds with exactly the same problem.

TLDR: I've had 2 brand new alternators with the same problem of a 0.24amp draw through the voltage sense wire one after the other.

I plan to call baxters to see what they think but I have to wait till after the long weekend.

Any ideas for what I should look for in the meantime would be helpful.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuirkyTurkey For This Useful Post:

Daimos (6th February 2023), MB (15th April 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day QT Mate,
    Yours and mine Old School sense wires might be buggered across to the battery somewhere ?
    Can’t remember much else between that wire and our batteries but I am an elecy 12v nuffy
    Have you trialled a temporary sense wire line with say alligator clips across to the main battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: QT Mate, I’m still running one……just, after horrid underwater/undersludge ridiculous abuse throughout Tasmania & Vic High Country High Mount 6hp Pimped Warn Winching Saviour

https://www.baxters.com.au/alternato...td27-td42.html

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my understanding the sense wire is just tapped from the main charge wire inside the loom somewhere between the battery and alternator so I'll confirm that there isnt a large voltage drop from battery to alternator.

Either way, without any other wire attached to the alternator and it mounted so its earthed to the engine it should only have a minimal amp draw enough the sense voltage like a normal voltmeter, or at least thats what I would have thought...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to QuirkyTurkey For This Useful Post:

MB (16th April 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey QT, have you resolved the issue yet?

I have the same Baxters A-1401H alternator. I fitted it in October 22 for a High County trip in November.

Charges fine, new Century starting battery and 400aH of lithium being charged with a 20amp DC to Dc.

After a week or so, the main battery is discharged. On checking I have a discharge of approx 200ma through the sense wire.

I have been on the phone to Josh at Baxters in Sunshine West today looking for info and am currently waiting on a return call.

Had anyone resolved this issue as of Feb?

I'll update as soon as I have more info.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after a few chats today I have come to the conclusion that the alt was intended to be used in an application with a switched sense wire.

The solution for now is to tie the sense wire to the switched wiper power.

Baxters has a turn around time of 2-3 weeks to diagnose. I would prefer not to have the Patrol laid up that long.

Long term I'll fit a different model and fit an electric vacuum pump. Few more options for alternators going down that path.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daimos For This Useful Post:

MB (6th February 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top Feedback Thanks @Daimos Mate
    Have never personally had an issue with my slightly older Baxters variants for TD42’s although a nearby Brother/member here @Rossco did have severe parasitic drain issues upon new purchase late last year of not only one but a second FOC replacement merely weeks afterwards. @Rossco Brother what was the final outcome/batch issued mentioned to yourself over the counter ?

FWIW: In regards “electric vacuum’” units for say 4.2 & 6.5 diesels in Patrols, please be cautious of amps required to run such devices as the aftermarket new chosen alternator to fit will need to accommodate electrically too
    Robbing Peter to pay Paul, may need 13A squealing belt upgrades doubled with fridges/loads etc…