Thread: Intercooler upgrade

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intercooler upgrade

I'm pretty sure I've a leaking oem intercooler on the crd Gu. Has anyone installed an upgrade unit from patrolapart $1895 with larger bonnet scoop all hoses ect. Bit cheaper than other competitors but still a fair investment. Any feedback welcome. Thanks ledends

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or should I ask, were should I be looking for a reasonable ic upgrade? Chees

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that sort of money, I’d forget going any top mount and go a Front mount intercooler instead. Fabwitz industries or DatsCool on Facebook have various options. They are a bit harder to fit but well worth it.

I’ve recently had a large Fabwitz front mount intercooler installed, the EGT’s are not a problem anymore.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be decent result, looks like a lot of work thou🤔

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doing the work yourself?

Do not know much about the Patrolapart TM cooler (bigger scoop) _ had a brief look and guess the core is to match the larger scoop size(waste of time if not). So you are happy about cutting the larger hole in bonnet?

4 yrs ago, I had a TM 600x300x76mm (JonnyTig) worked well but a couple of yrs ago I installed a PDI FM 600x300x76mm (suits my eng set up). Install of FM took me a week along with fitting new air box and 4" SS snorkel and yes far bit of work.

Do not know what mods you have done or intend but maybe a Cross Country Premium may be worth looking at. No bonnet mod. Proven build lot use them.

https://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/o...rd-30l-premium
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bidja, yeah I'll diy the intercooler including the bonnet mods if I go that way. I'm only planning modest mods to stay on the reliable safe side of things. Most likely exaust upgrade and tuning after the intercooler. That cross country also looks pretty good for an easy bolt in job.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, and only from reading here and also witnessing mates trials & tribulations on their TMIC’s versus FMIC’s.
    Top Mount IC’s unfortunately do suffer from heat soak when in slow traffic and or crawling up off-road tracks steadily.
    They also do unfortunately completely take away all engine bay positive pressure when crossing rivers or plunging through deep bogholes flooding engine bays with water/sludge……a giant air top exhaust/vent.
    Front Mount IC’s do keep OEM bonnets untouched but do unfortunately require very serious custom installation consideration of pipe work/ intake routing for abrasion etc…
    FMIC’s will perform clearly proven better for Kw/Nm numbers but design of winches/a/c/spotlights and the rest need to be cleverly airflow positioned too.
    Summary IMHO:
    If your needs are 50kmph+ highway hauling, go a cheaper TMIC
    All other scenarios, if maxxxx performance is truly wanted/needed then go FMIC
    FWIW: I have NO IC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MaxPeachy (7th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd go the cross country if you go top mount mate. They have made 1000s and I've never read a bad word about them to be honest.

No idea who supplies PAP their kit.

When I did the front mount on my GUIV TD42T I had a Heat issue after. I acknowledge I also dropped a big pump and big turbo and tune which was probably the underlying reason for running a little hotter but I'd definitely consider a Rop Mount next time
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPeachy View Post
    Hi Bidja, yeah I'll diy the intercooler including the bonnet mods if I go that way. I'm only planning modest mods to stay on the reliable safe side of things. Most likely exhaust upgrade and tuning after the intercooler. That cross country also looks pretty good for an easy bolt in job.
    Sounds like u are handy, so if you end up cutting into the bonnet, consider spending a few more dollars and check out the larger 600x300x76mm TMIC (CC Ultimate) or even Jonny Tig (Does good work).

https://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/o...l-crd-ultimate

https://www.jonnytig.com/products/vi...0-crd-tmic-kit

With ECM remap and good VNT vane management the CRD can perform well. They do like to breathe easy. Seriously think where you want to end up before spending lots. Do it right the first time.

If you go the CC premium checkout what they supply as part of their kit, note they mention a wiring loom (guess this is for under mount spal fan) - check this.
    Also check:
    How they connect from turbo to cooler inlet spigot pipe (cost more later if u want to increase dia as it looks like they use stock piping), and
    what method used to connect MAP sensor and is preferable a second port for taking boost reference (gauge and manual boost control hookup).

For Info: CRD with ECM remap can run well using stock Vac solenoid with boost limiter. Remap can turn off EGR function as that is an advantage when increasing exhaust dia (limp avoidance).

I prefer A FM but a good top mount will provide for a good result.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

mudski (8th April 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

clawrence (16th April 2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast