User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intercooler upgrade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of things to consider. The advantage of an IC upgrade depends on how you drive, where you drive, load you are carrying / towing, etc. In most cases the advantage gained is minimal - especially when you consider cost and complexity of some installations. I went for a Top Mount aftermarket IC (only because my crappy original Nissan one leaked) and had lots of problems initially with it fitting properly - among other issues.

If I had to do it all again I would have taken the original IC and had a more efficient core TIG welded onto the existing ends. Good value for money and everything fits as it should - and it is easy to do.
    Last edited by BillsGU; 8th April 2022 at 01:14 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pollenface
    Baha, classic love the 1.8 percent upgrade. "Spend 15min n tape up the 4 corners $00

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great advise guys, reckon I'll go for a cross country just got to work out which one.
    Legeds ✌️

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's this you say?

Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Lots of things to consider. The advantage of an IC upgrade depends on how you drive, where you drive, load you are carrying / towing, etc. In most cases the advantage gained is minimal - especially when you consider cost and complexity of some installations. I went for a Top Mount aftermarket IC (only because my crappy original Nissan one leaked) and had lots of problems initially with it fitting properly - among other issues.

If I had to do it all again I would have taken the original IC and had a more efficient core TIG welded onto the existing ends. Good value for money and everything fits as it should - and it is easy to do.
    Recently took mine for a long run to Carnarvon Gorge and noticed EGT's getting up to around 600 uphill. Not towing, but packed to the rafters with camping gear and beer. I will never tow, but am keen to do a lap of Oz at some point and am concerned about high EGT's. If I need to spend some coin to get it right I will, but if there is a quick and cheaper way to go, to get these EGT's more stable, I'm all ears.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andicee View Post
    Recently took mine for a long run to Carnarvon Gorge and noticed EGT's getting up to around 600 uphill. Not towing, but packed to the rafters with camping gear and beer. I will never tow, but am keen to do a lap of Oz at some point and am concerned about high EGT's. If I need to spend some coin to get it right I will, but if there is a quick and cheaper way to go, to get these EGT's more stable, I'm all ears.
    In simple terms EGTs are all about air to fuel ration. Increase the amount of fuel or decrease the amount of air getting into a diesel engine and you increase the EGTs. Many drivers don't seem to want to change down gears when the engine is under load (eg going up hill). This means you push the throttle further down (more fuel into the engine) but at the same time the revs decrease (less turbo speed so less air into the engine). Usually dropping down a gear will reduce EGTs dramatically (less throttle and higher revs at a lower gear).

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha. Yes, I did drop down to fourth, on a particularly long hill and noticed a drop to around 450. Still seems high though!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12