Thread: Advice on Patrol vs Prado

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Advice on Patrol vs Prado

I currently have a 07 GU Patrol, 230K on the clock, manual, few extras and had plenty of repairs done over last 12 months (radiator, alternator, battery, glow plugs and seals, valve cover, belt tensioner assembly, door latch, which was surprisingly expensive, plus all the usual upkeep).
    She's a bit sluggish on the hills, thirsty as, but otherwise has been a great car and other than seemingly needing a new part every few months, is still going strong.

My dad is getting rid of his 08 GXL Prado, auto, pretty much same extras, its the 3LT TD as well, but it has 325K on it.
    Got his service history and last three years has been pretty similar for parts, plus he's had engine mounts, transmission mounts, airbags and some other stuff done I haven't had to worry about.

Everyone I've spoken to, including my mechanic, is telling me I should switch, but looking at the service history between our two cars, other than his having a bit better go on the hills and being an auto, I still personally like my Patrol more, and I know this is literally a Patrol forum, but wondered what people thought about given the chance would they trade the Patrol for the Prado?

Dad says he'll sell it to me for whatever I could get for the Patrol, but looking at rough prices I almost reckon the Patrol is worth more...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyotas have better engines in general and I do like Toyotas a lot. I have both a LC and a Patrol, for the record. With the two cars closely with the same age, same good maintenance and serving the same purposes, I would not change mine over another with extra 100k km on the clock unless for some extra detail that made too much difference for me. For example, if you are looking to move from a manual into an auto that could be your motivation. If nothing else and to you it doesn't even matter which car you are driving, then I would analyse it from a financial point of view, if the Prado is worth more then the Patrol and being a family deal if you are going to get it any cheaper than market value for example.

It is hard to get convinced to by something when you are not looking for it. I usually don't.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (18th April 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What are you using the car for?
    I'm not aware of vehicle prices at all so not thinking financially, but if you are just using it as a daily driver or to fit a bigger family I'd probably go with the Prado.
    If you are doing any 4WDing at all then the Patrol is in another league to the Prado and I would not even consider it.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (18th April 2024), growler2058 (18th April 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,022 Times in 3,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you’re towing anything check the towing capacity of the Prado. I have a mate with one and he is having difficulty finding a caravan that fits his needs and can be towed by his Prado. It’s max 2.5T or something like that.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a patrol because prados were 10k more for the same car. Digging deeper revealed prados had their own set of problems.

All cars need maintenance which includes but is not limited to: battery, radiator, glow plugs, alternator, etc etc.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted